Rod eye replacement?

Patriot

I usually whittle it off with a razor blade to make it flat then reanchore the eye back on with thread and epoxy. The varnish over the rap is epoxy nothing I know of will remove it. Just chisel it down smooth. Done thus many times never had 1 fail.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Having built and repaired a few fishing poles in my day, I have found that the rod blank is finished then after the guides are wrapped on they are varnished themselves so it you take a razor blade and very carefully cut through the wrap in two places vertically they will almost just peal off. Then if there is any left over varnish it can be sanded down with some fine (600-1000) grit wet sand paper then rewrapped and refinished. I have used clear nail polish to finish them 3-4 coats just on the thread. Hope this helps

John

If you go the nail polish route use acrylic (hardner) nail polish top coat over it for increased durability

Edited by Sk8man

There are lots of videos out there on how to do this, but essentially the steps are:

1) tape 1 side of a flexible double edge razor blade to protect your fingers

2) bend the razor blade gently over the blank holding it at an angle- left hand forward, right rearward and shave the epoxy down to the thread

3 loosen or cut end of thread then unwind it and remove guide

4) clean up excess epoxy on blank but make sure you don't cut the blank fiber - you don't have to get it all just most of it, especially the high spots

5) make sure foot (or feet) of guide are filed so they transition down to blank so thread can climb up foot as it's wound

6) position guide on blank with tape leaving filed area uncovered

7) put spool of nylon rod winding thread in cup behind thick book, open book and lay thread in pages, close book on thread (add weight to book to get adequate tension) when wrapped guide should be adjustable but snug

8) wind thread over itself then up guide foot stopping about 5-6 thread wraps short of end, insert loop of super line, wrap over foot and super line to end, hold thread and cut, feed end of thread through loop of super line and pull super line and end of thread under wrap, trim carefully with razor

9) align guide

10) mix 2 part rodbuilding epoxy finish for 2-3 minutes, pour finish onto aluminum foil and let it spread out, once bubbles from mixing dissipate, use artist size brush to transfer epoxy to wrap, spread out but don't attempt to paint the epoxy on (dragging brush across thread introduces bubbles to finish)

11) finish is self leveling - rotate rod by hand every few minutes for half hour to hour or use grill rotisserie motor to rotate it continuously

12) biggest mistakes, wrong thread tension, not mixing epoxy well enough, not pouring out on foil to pop bubbles and keep cool, brushing or painting the epoxy

Apply finish, let it self level, add where missing or thin, remove where thick, it's that simple

Varnish is ok for some rods but for the load a trolling rod takes its better to use rodbuilding epoxy.

Feel free to contact me with any questions you might have.

You tube videos from Flex Coat and Mudhole tackle on rodbuilding will provide a lot of tips and tricks.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by John E Powell