Trollin' gets her hot

Time Out

I was out last night trolling and temp got up to about 220-230 wich is very hot for my boat at trolling speed. Picked up all the gear and went back to the launch. As soon as I got it up to 1200-1500 rpm temp went back down to 160, then back up at idle. We pulled the lower unit when we got back home and the impeller looks like new. I picked up a new one anyways along with a new thermostat today but am looking for any ideas that I may have missed. I didnt forget about the water pump.

Heres another one. When the temp was hot the starboard side exhaust was alot hotter than the port.

Oh yeah, Its a 87' chevy 350 w/ a merc alpha 1 outdrive.

thanks in advance for any info

Jeff

Thanks guys,

Thats the conclusion Im coming to after some talking and a little research on how those cooling systems work at the thermostat. The two sides being different temps threw me for a loop, but I guess thats nothing to wory about.

Jeff

Jeff;

I have had the same problem every other year. When you pull the water pump look close at the gaskets and let me know if you see them worn or torn.... in a spot or two..this is what I have noticed both times I did this water pump change...Let me know please...I have the same engine and out drive..

PS..Dont try and change yourself...it's a b$*!*^ I have done it twice myself now in my driveway and I hope not to do it again.

Mark

Mark,

The inpeller gasket was torn on both sides where the water flows over it. The new kit has a gasket without the center piece that had ripped.

Everything looks good so Ill have to give it a water run soon.

The water in the oil was caused by fishing line and a ballon sting that had worked its way under the prop seals.

Jeff

Jeff;

YES...I see torn/worn gaskets every time I changed water pump.

I also believe that sand particles are the cause of this sucked up at dock or in very shallow water.

I think this is the problem not a bad impeller. Use the same gasket that came out do not use the one without the center piece, that is not the right gasket.

Mark