Went out this morning.  Trolled near the piers.  I had 1 good hit that came off.  Rapala J-13.  Everyone I spoke with was skunked in the lake.  Egg sacks on a bobber by the yacht club seemed to be the ticket for salmon.  

Is anyone having success in the lake????  I would like to catch a nice trout.  Even a salmon.  Preferably one that is not black.

jpiat. i also fished outside olcott yest. if you want fish but have given up on the inside mature bite, there are 2 areas to try. slide out to 90 feet.  there are tons of fish in the top 20' of the water column. the were hard to get to play tho.

we then slid out to 250' and got 7 fish including a nice mid teen 2yr old along with some fiesty steelies

JP, this time of year there are probably as many Steelhead off the pier as salmon. Try scaling down in size on an orange rapala or run some small spoons with orange to tap into steel.

I eventually got a nice brown in out 35 fow off a planer board.  Rapala J-11 firetiger.  I added a weight above my fluoro leader to sink down a bit deeper.  It seems to have worked.

Gill-T:  Thanks for the info.  Will the steelhead hit only as the sun comes up??  It sounds like you are recommending a presentation similar to spring trolling along the shoreline.  Small Rapala or small spoon.  Except you recommend primarily in the pier area?  In the spring I focus on 8-10 fow along the shoreline.

The idea is you are intercepting fall run steelhead around the piers.  If you want more of a sure thing you would go offshore to find steelhead and underage salmon, however, you are going to have to put your riggers back on.

Gill-T:  I will definitely try the small spoons and Rapalas.  Truth be told, I did not have much success at all this summer going offshore.  300', 400' and more brought me little success.  I heard people say that they were down over 100' to get 40 or 38 degree water.  Maybe I should have targeted water 50-55 degrees?

Here is the big question:  After the salmon spawn is over in 18 Mile Creek, do the browns stay on the shoreline all winter until the water warms up in May?  I would like to troll the shoreline if there are browns along the shoreline in November, December, and January.  That is, if lake conditions permit. 

November and December still has Browns in the creek.  Some do spawn on shoals out in the lake.  JP take your boat down to the mouth of the Catt. on Erie if you want fresh fish close to shore.