Downriggger placement

fireplug

Finally got a dowrnwigger and associated gear for the Starcraft (18', 120 Merc I/O, closed bow "family" boat).

Final question before I start drilling is, where should I place it? I can put the (swivel) base on the side, since the d-r has a 4' boom, and it will clear the transom by 1' or so, or I can run it straight off the transom, but I am worried about the lines getting near the prop.

What do you all advise. I can mount the swivel base permanently on the boat (wife gave permission ;) ) or I can buy a 1' section of track and a small riser to put the base onto.

Looking for any advise, and thanks in advance.

Fireplug, there a a few variables that come into play here. First do you run any diver rods off the sides currently? If so, I'd then mount the base on the transom corner. As mentioned, make sure that you can reach the cannonball easily or use a retroease. You could then fish this directly straight back or simply lock it into a 45 degree. This would provide a little more clearance then on the sides so the diver rod tips would clear esp on a savage initial strike. Next what make did you get. ? If it is a Cannon, I'd shorten the boom up to possibly 3 feet, if this is then the way you go. Even fishing straight back this will provide enough clearance to clear your worry about the prop. Are you talking about just one rigger for now? Even if so, you could then place the next one on the opposite corner, using the same method described. I know there are many who like the longer booms on their riggers. From what you describe, you won't have the amount of lines in the water as some, thus that is why I suggested this route. For greater coverage, esp. once the thermocline sets up, you could then use a directional rigger weight. Setting up your rigger in this fashion, not only provides ease of loading but also I.M.O. but also provides a means in which will give you the least amount of interference from other aspects. Is this an electric rigger or manual? Reason I ask, if it is an electric I would stay lower profile just off the swivel. But if it is a manual you may want to consider using a small riser to allow your hand to clear the gunnels or transom depending on the outlay of your boat itself. Hope this helps and best of luck- Duane

Thanks for the ideas.

It's an electric Cannon with an older style (not low profile) swivel base. Have 2 holders for the 2 dipsey rods (1 per side).

Has a retro-ease line retriever, and I'm pretty sure the boom will swing in well enough to allow me to access the line without interfering with the dipsey rod on that side.

Probably won't run more than 1 rigger rod (with slider), 2 dipsey's and maybe 1 flat line straight off the back. Boat is not roomy enough for more than 4 rods while trolling, I am sure of that.

I think the Cannon will go port side corner on the transom.