Furuno vs raymarine vs garmin opinions please

hi everybody, well its time to buy my 1000 watt fish finder to go with my 1000 watt Airmar ss264  1000 watt transducer.

I've found furuno's 587, raymarine has some and garmin has their 840. I would appreciate all your opinions as to which one has been working good for you.  i'm fishing great lakes trout and salmon.  thanks,lee

I'm running the Furuno 585 and am happy with it.

Had the 582 for about 10 years before the 585 and was very happy with that one as well.

No problems with either unit.

Can't really go wrong with Furuno.

Good luck with your decision.

Edited by spoonfed-1

I love my Furuno equipment, had my first one from 1986 to 2008 and obviously new one is many times nicer. With that said it appears for the most part everyone is happy with the one they are using so there are several good choices out there. Pick a name brand unit and don't look back.

Bob

Most of the "big boys" on the ocean are running Furuno's and it is for a reason...they are very reliable. Although I have had Lowrance's lately and I have had other brands as well over the years since 1975 including a graph recorder and flasher that were kits where every diode had to be soldered onto the board and the entire units hand assembled (Heath Kits). Thankfully my dad was a radio and TV repair guy :lol:  If $$$ isn't the main factor Furuno is the way to go. I've seen Admiral Byrd's units in action firsthand many times too over the years and in my opinion they are superior units.

Edited by Sk8man

make sure that the connectors are compatible. Most fish finders are only as good as the transducer

The SS264N ( narrow) the same elements as the Tm260/ B260 / M260 . The pair consist of a 6 degree 200 kHz and a 25 degree 50 kHz transducer...........Garmin 6 pin,Lowrance,Simrad,Sitex,Raymarine.............
SS264N...............Garmin GSD-24, Furuno.10 pin.................................

thx for the input, furuno's 587 was recommended to me but the recommendation didn't come from a user. I would much rather hear from owners and users as I did and I appreciate your responses. I know furuno,

garmin and raymarine are all good names but what works on the oceans may not be the best for the

great lakes and vice versa.

thanks again.

The only difference in the oceans would be the transducer....there you'd want the 50khz for deep water and most of those depth finders have a salt water setting in the menu