Dipsy wire rod - roller guides or twili tip?

Hey Guys

I am in the process of rigging a new boat and I find my self buying all kinds of stuff and reading tons of helpful posts on this site. I need to set up a couple of wire dipsy rods and figured I would go with the daiwa adp47lc reels with 7 strand 30# SS wire but I can not decide on the rod to buy. So the question is how long? I was figuring 10 or more feet and what action is Med enough or should it be Heavy? Also is a regular rod with a twili tip as good as a roller guide rod or is it better? Any input or detailed recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gene

I have a pair of 7' roller rods they have the better rollers that won't foul the wire. The shorter rods make it a lot easier to handle the kings. And they arn't so heavy that can't have fun with the smaller fish on the fingerlakes. I like them better that the twillie tip. We run them flat to the water and the clear the riggers fine. Jeff aka Miss-Em made them. They do a great job for us..

Gene, personally for wire divers I like the Heartland diver rods, with the twili tip. You will get varying opinions on this but these have been a great set up for many thru the years. On a side note, I don't use a snubber behind the diver. Best of luck with what ever you decide.

I will 2nd the Heartland rods. I use all 9'6" rods with twilly tips. They are economical and hold up well. My 10 yr old son can handle the 9'6" rods with no problem.

I fish out of a 23' boat and I run 10' Ugly Stic's with twilly tips. The longer rods help to clear the riggers when I have them swung out on the port and star side. A 10’ rod with 40 pound wire clears riggers. I also do not use snubbers but I do use a rubber band to keep the wire from creeping out.

Mark

thanks Guys

I ordered from cabelas this morning they had 10' MH Ugly sticks on sale for 29.98 with roller tips I figure if I dont like the roller tips i will get twili tips I hope these work out. I also ordered Diawa adp47lc accudepth plus reels they where 59.99 not bad. I now need a good source for 1000' spools of 7 strand SS wire any input there would be helpful.? Thanks for all the input and all the great post's from the past if it wasnt for this site I would not even think of trying great lakes fishing on my own.

Thanks

Gene