Trim indicator wiring

seasquirrel

Ok guys I need your electrical expertise. Especially you marine mechanics. I posted this also on another forum. I installed a new trim indicator on my boat because the needle broke on my existing indicator.It worked fine other than the needle broke off short. It bugged me so I got a new one.I asked my marine mechanic how to install it. He told me to lower the outdrive all the way down and adjust the trim switch on the outdrive until the needle reads all the way down. It works totally opposite. All the way down=needle indicating up and visa versa. I am pretty sure the wires are in the right location. However, the results seem to suggest I have two wires switched. Below is how I wired it. Any thoughts?

Black/ to ground on indicator

Tan/white stripe/ to S

purple/ to I on indicator

Blue to light on indicator

You don't mention the year and model of your sterndrive,but maybe this will help. I replaced the tilt/trim senders on my Merc Alpha 1 Gen II a couple of years ago, so I have the wiring diagram. There is a different wiring code for older and newer(NMMA) wiring. Both old and new- Black-Ground

trim up switch---old-blue new-lt. blue/white

trim down switch--old-green new-green/white

trim sender to trim guage old- purple new-brown /white (probably your tan)

ignition switch- old-white new-purple

trim trailer switch- old-purple new-purple/white

You may not have all of these if you don't have the trailer trim.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Seasquirrel

The wiring in your Volvo should match the new side of the wiring code I posted. That's what NMMA is all about , all manufacturers use the same color code after about 1991.

Seasquirrel

The wiring in your Volvo should match the new side of the wiring code I posted. That's what NMMA is all about , all manufacturers use the same color code after about 1991.

Not necessarily. Just this week I had to contact Furuno to get the color code for their FCV-620 fishfinder. The book wasn't clear what the NMEA in/out wires were to hook up to my Garmin GPSMAP-162. Somebody (Garmin or Furuno) isn't using the same color code to identify the NMEA wiring :? .

Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer of your outdrive and get the right info once. Once Furuno gave me that info( within 3 hours of my email request) the hookup was painless and now my FF & GPS are talking to each other :D .

The NMMA standards I refered to only concerm original equiptment manufacturers. The people that build the boats are held to this standard. The aftermarket manufacturers(Garmin,Furano,Etc.) are not held to this standard.

The NMMA standards I refered to only concerm original equiptment manufacturers. The people that build the boats are held to this standard. The aftermarket manufacturers(Garmin,Furano,Etc.) are not held to this standard.

Thanks Mark for setting us straight. That's what I like about LOU. Got a problem or question? It gets kicked around a bit and we all learn something. ;)

I guess if there is going to be a standard it's really not a standard till all or at least the majority in that industry participate in using it :? . Kinda like using the metric system in the USA :roll: .