Auto pilot questions

salmonite

Many many questions

I have a cable steered outboard. I have seen new lowrance for cable steered boats for 2k and I do use a kicker so contemplated the tr1 but 2500 is a lot. Any others for cable?

My question should I just bite the bullet and get a hydraulic upgrade and go with the many options for hydraulic steered boats?

The new lowrance hydraulic steered autopilot is 1k and looking at bay star steering is 550 so that would be cheaper than going with the 2k cable steered unit. Last question is that would I run into trouble with running auto pilot on main motor with hooked to kicker? Is it strong enough to push the kicker?

Anyone around rochester that is a dealer and do the installs that you could recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Many many questions

I have a cable steered outboard. I have seen new lowrance for cable steered boats for 2k and I do use a kicker so contemplated the tr1 but 2500 is a lot. Any others for cable?

My question should I just bite the bullet and get a hydraulic upgrade and go with the many options for hydraulic steered boats?

The new lowrance hydraulic steered autopilot is 1k and looking at bay star steering is 550 so that would be cheaper than going with the 2k cable steered unit. Last question is that would I run into trouble with running auto pilot on main motor with hooked to kicker? Is it strong enough to push the kicker?

Anyone around rochester that is a dealer and do the installs that you could recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes.

Don't know anything about a Lowrance AP but my Simrad controlled both a 200 Yamy and the 15 hp kicker without an issue.

Edited by spoonfed-1

A voice of experience , go with the Simrad ! Avoid raymarine at all cost, no experience with Lowrance.

Why avoid raymarine? How bout some facts to back this up.

I'm a raymarine guy - spx sport pilot and it works fine. First one became a little stiff after 3 years and they sent me a new helm unit at no cost

New 21 ft. Cable, helm and pilot was around 1500.00 as for the raymarine unit, if the boat slows down under 1.5 (?) mph it loses the data link, will not regain this link until the boat is traveling 3.5 mph for 90 sec. So.. Slow down to land a king you loss your pilot, it sucks!! Called the dealer and raymarine , informed me that they no longer make this unit for that reason( no fix for it) would not trade for the new version would not give me a penny towards trade ! For this reason they will never get another cent from me. Others may love there products but for me and my money the can kiss off!!!

Simrad quit making cable autopilot a few years ago. Look into Octopus Auto pilot, they are the company that made the drive unit for Simrad.

Simrad is a sister company to Lowrance and is probably why the cable steer was phased out.

I have ap12 simred and it works well at all speeds. Got rid of Raymarine years ago, too many problems,very expensive repairs.