Vertical jigging for muskie

How many of you guys on the rivers vertical jig for these fish? I've been out trolling on charter trips, but when I watched Jon Bondy's vertical technique, I was very interested in trying that style at my first pure bread. I get bored to easily trolling, although I know how effective it can be covering lots of water. I'm just more interested in experiencing 100% of the fight from start to finish, not just reeling the fish in. I plan on trying my luck a bit up on the St. Lawrence this year, and any help will be greatly appreciated!

Jay Davies

Edited by FishinNY

I haven't used the Bondy but I know people who do. I was told by someone who is successful with them (they actually got a 55" last year in the Larry) you have to use boat control in the current to keep it almost straight down under the boat. Work areas with humps, rock piles, along drop offs, and other current breaks. Drop it down till it hits the bottom, crank it up a foot or two and start jigging. Raise your rod up quickly to about 2:00 and then let it drop down but keep the slack out (slack but not slack) as it is dropping. Don't raise it up too high because if a fish hits at the top, you will not be able to load up the rod to set the hook. Most of the time they grab it on the fall, so if it stops falling or you feel a little tick, set the hook hard. The Red October tubes work well also. You can jig or drag them. they don't necessarily have to be straight down from the boat. Very often fish will be behind the downstream side of a hump or drop. You have to watch the depth and raise the bait up when the bottom comes up and lower it down when it gets deeper. You have to have a feel to know weather it is bumping bottom or it is a fish hitting. When in doubt, set the hook. With two people in the boat I have been told that, with one angler casting and the other jigging, very often a fish will follow the casted lure in and if it doesn't hit it, it sometimes goes down and takes the Jig. If you get hung up on the bottom, you need to have plenty of line and act quickly to power up the boat and get upstream from the snag to get it off the bottom.

One other thing, put a big frog hook (like an english hook)  or maybe a modified treble off the top eye where you connect the leader. You might have to try different things there to keep it from hooking over the leader.

If you are new to musky fishing, please make sure you have the right equipment and tools to bring the fish in quickly and release them without overstressing them in order to give them the best chance of surviving.

Thank you very much for all the insight! I just so happen to have a bunch of Red October tubes. They are very versitile. I'm also very familiar with proper releasing techniques and fish handling. Its something I can't stress enough when I bring guys a long on the ice to target big fish. I thank you for bringing it up and making the extra effort to educate!

The boat control will take some getting used to, but as with anything, time will make us all better.

I can't wait to get out there. I hope everyone is very successful this season!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app