Navionics Gold contour lines

So I bought a new ff/cp combo unit raymarine a68. It came with 2 cards, one is labeled US & Canada the other is Northeast US.  Which one should i run and how many contour lines should it have?  I have only a few lines but lots of numbers with different depths. I was looking thru Navionic's site and the "Sonar Charts" seemed to have a lot more contour lines I was thinking it would closer to that than what I got.  I mean I very well could be missing a setting that is supposed to be turned on.  I looked thru the manual and it seems like I did everything I was supposed too.  The Lighthouse pre-loaded RM charts look like they actually have more contour lines than Nav. Gold charts.

SonarCharts are on the Navionics+ and on the Platinium. I don't know much about Raymarine but on a Lowrance or a HB you need to activate a function name: FishNchip.

Not all the units can run that function. See the compatibility doc. on the Raymarine website (bottom right)

If youre unit can read the sonarchart you can purchase the Navionics Update and use the older card to unlock and the update will become a Nav+ then you download the region or lakes you are fishing.

The Update sale for $99

Edited by wallyandre

chas0218

create an account with navtronics, then yu can update your card for free for 1 year. also this will activate the sonar chart function of your card which is 100x more detailed than what you are seeing now. 

Once card is installed in your ray unit you will also be able to select between "normal" gold chart option and the sonar chart.

last note if you can do the upgrade thru navtronics for gold to platnium + on their website i highly recommend it.

chas0218

create an account with navtronics, then yu can update your card for free for 1 year. also this will activate the sonar chart function of your card which is 100x more detailed than what you are seeing now. 

Once card is installed in your ray unit you will also be able to select between "normal" gold chart option and the sonar chart.

last note if you can do the upgrade thru navtronics for gold to platnium + on their website i highly recommend it.

So the upgrade will only last 1 year meaning it will expire and put me back to the gold or it won't let me update with newer info after that year?

I was hoping for something more along the lines of sonar charts. 

Once yu have created an account and updated your chip the info. stays on the chip. After the "free" year has past you will just not be able to "update" your card with the latest info but you will still have sonar charts on the card/plotter to use.

Sick today so I didn't read youre post correctly. The card that are part of a bundle contain all the US & Canada but without the SonarCharts. To get the SonarCharts you need to go on Navionics website, creat an account and download the region you want to fish. For a period of 1 year you can get all the new things taht are uploaded by other users, it's call Freshest Data. After a year you can renew youre update for another year for $99.

The card size is 2gig and a Platinium is 16Gig