Humminbird 859ci HD or 859ci HD DI

OK.. so I have decided to buy one of these units instead of the Lowrance Elite 7 because of networkability and a few other features.  I can get the HD DI for a crazy price through a friend of mine right now but it only comes with the 455/800/200/455 transuducer.  Would this be suitable for deeper water?  I know the 50/200 transducers are the way to go for deep water but I can get the DI cheaper than the 2D and it has switchfire technology also.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

They both have switchfire, which is a setting you want turned on. You can always just buy a 83/200 (Humminbird) or a 50/200 (Airmar) for the 859ci HD DI if the price is right. I don't think the ducer coming with the 859ci HD DI will suit your needs for trolling. The 200 frequency would work, but that's a narrow cone and you'd miss a lot. The other frequencies are side and down imaging frequencies, which no one really uses for trolling the great lakes for Salmon and Trout.

Thanks for the heads up Yankee Troller.  Someone local that is also a member of LOU suggested the Garmin 73dv also.  that has a 77/200 transducer and is rated for 2500 ft freshwater.  750 ft max for the down view I believe.  What do you guys think of that unit?  The only thing I am slightly concerned about is the fact that it looks as though there isnt much expansion with the 73dv.

Jim,

They both have switchfire, which is a setting you want turned on. You can always just buy a 83/200 (Humminbird) or a 50/200 (Airmar) for the 859ci HD DI if the price is right. I don't think the ducer coming with the 859ci HD DI will suit your needs for trolling. The 200 frequency would work, but that's a narrow cone and you'd miss a lot. The other frequencies are side and down imaging frequencies, which no one really uses for trolling the great lakes for Salmon and Trout.

Rich does humminbird give you the ability to use the other frequencies (DI and/or SI) as the traditional sonar (2D color graph)?

Thanks for the heads up Yankee Troller.  Someone local that is also a member of LOU suggested the Garmin 73dv also.  that has a 77/200 transducer and is rated for 2500 ft freshwater.  750 ft max for the down view I believe.  What do you guys think of that unit?  The only thing I am slightly concerned about is the fact that it looks as though there isnt much expansion with the 73dv.

The Garmin stuff is fairly new, so I doubt you'll see much on it this early in the season. To be honest a 83/200 or 50/200 will work just fine on that bird. Why do you think you need to see down 2500'? DI and SI wont go as deep as traditional 2D sonar, which is what you will use most of the time.

Rich does humminbird give you the ability to use the other frequencies (DI and/or SI) as the traditional sonar (2D color graph)?

Yes, you can split the screen and use all of them at the same time. With the traditional "core" units 8xx, 9xx, 11xx you were stuck with the views that Humminbird gave you. With the new ONIX series you can create your own views up to four windows on the screen.

I have been doing some more research and from what I can tell it does 77/200 for traditional and 455kHz down view.  I guess I could potentially end up buying a 50/200, 260/455 later on but it says that transducer is chirp. Unless the unit can become chirp just by changing the transducer.

Rich,

I dont need to see 2500'.  Thats for sure.  I just dont want to get myself in a position that I regret buying sonar.  I do like the 859ci hd di because I can split traditional/2d/nav or a combination of those.  I also like the fact that Garmin is noted for their GPS accuracy and the loaded maps are way better than any others.  What are your thoughts on the 73dv?

I have been doing some more research and from what I can tell it does 77/200 for traditional and 455kHz down view.  I guess I could potentially end up buying a 50/200, 260/455 later on but it says that transducer is chirp. Unless the unit can become chirp just by changing the transducer.

The guys that have used chirp on the lake that I know are saying it isn't worth it, and are still using traditional 2D sonar.

Rich,

I dont need to see 2500'.  Thats for sure.  I just dont want to get myself in a position that I regret buying sonar.  I do like the 859ci hd di because I can split traditional/2d/nav or a combination of those.  I also like the fact that Garmin is noted for their GPS accuracy and the loaded maps are way better than any others.  What are your thoughts on the 73dv?

Garmin maps are Garmin maps and those units wont let you use Navionics or Lake Master. If you're not happy with Garmin maps in your area then your kinda screwed. I have no experience with Garmin electronics other than some buddies running them for GPS and Radar. Their only gripe is the propriety maps.

I have been a Humminbird user for about 7/8 seasons now. I have run 8xx's, 9xx's, 11xx's, and now the ONIX series. I can answer most questions about the HB units, but Garmin is foreign to me.

I can't say anything about hummingbird haven't used one since I had my ranger bass boat back in the 90's. If you have questions on Garmin units call Jim at BOE marine is is an expert and is currently installing the new electronics on wicked Tina's tuna.coms new custom built boat. He is a great guy, unbiased and will answer any all all your questions. Then you can make a final decision on a unit and not regret it later on by it hb, Garmin or whatever.

Here is a few pics of chirp and downvision in action.post-139473-0-08956100-1429710346_thumb.jpg

Upper is chirp lower is downvision going over rock bottom with some big boulders

post-139473-0-90305000-1429710529_thumb.jpg

Chirp - bait on bottom with fish shooting up to 55' rigger from bottom

Well, I bit the bullet and purchased a Garmin EchoMap 73dv because of the reviews on GPS, it had down imaging, a better transducer, and better base maps (even though proprietary).  Plus a LOU member has personal experience with one and loves it.  Thanks for all of the help guys.