Spro swivel

Many of the guys on here will say don't use a swivel ....use their favorite knot :) . I've found that the #8 is the largest (power swivel) that will fit through the eyes of the rod and line guide on my various rods and it is rated at 50 lbs.. The number 10 seems too small to make the connection especially with copper

Edited by Sk8man

Here is why I recommended the #8 Spro power swivel over the #3HD for this particular application. It is smaller yet strong enough (50 lb test vs 150 of the HD) and fits through all the eyes of  most rods and the level wind of most reels. Notice the size comparison in the photo.

post-145411-0-29771900-1434148729_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks less.... Right now I have the smaller one... For some reason I thought it was the wrong way to rig it up.... So I figured I would post this and see which way is the best..... I haven't yet got this set up tweeked in yet.... Or yet caught a fish on it yet... I bought one of those okuma pre rigged set up.... Word of advice to others.... Before initial deployment..... Let out everything and reel back in under tension.... You will have a lot more room on your reel and everything will be tight.....

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I use the swivels because the Albright failed twice on me.  I would stick to the bigger Spros if you fish Lake Ontario.  If you fish the fingerlakes, you can get away with the smaller ones. 

I was a little skeptical of the knots while using copper.... Lots of drag and kings don't play nice a lot of the time..... I'm not worried about it not going through the eyes... Plenty of room there.... Now I have to splice in the mono for the releases....

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have had good luck using two or more elastic bands half hitched on the braid then clipped into a large Scotty release we pull some heavy coppers sections off of the Double Otters . The fewer connections the better IMHO.