I\O Skeg & Propeller damage

njg0621

So I bought a new boat, took it out for the first time to a local lake and hit a shallow spot.  The worst part is I knew it was shallow and was doing 2mph with the motor trimmed completely up.  Needless to say the propeller is now junk and needs to be replaced.  The skeg on the lower unit just got a few nicks in it which I think is purely cosmetic.  The motor was like new though and it drives me crazy that it looks like crap now with the dings in it.  What is the best option to make it look new again? Should I put on one of the skeg protectors? What are the typical costs? Any advice is appreciated!

post-154852-0-64318200-1436193914_thumb.jpg

Pier Propeller under Grand Island Bridge in Buffalo.  They will tigweld your skeg and repair your prop if repairable.  A new prop might be $175 ish, repair....$115 ish.... so might be better to just get a new prop.  Repairs take a few days.  I hit Sturgeon Pt. a few weeks back sooooooo that is how I know. :ninja:

Man you must have been on a rock orchard to bugger up the back side of the skeg, it doesn't look that bad. Maybe just straiten up the rough with a disc grinder and give it a coat of paint, as for the prop, Gill T is right on target, those are your options. I would buy a new one and get the old one repaired for a spare.

Not sure where you are located but the prop shop in Canandaigua is as good as it gets for prop repair and folks and marinas from all over the state send them there for repair. If it is an aluminum prop and the hub is still intact it may be repairable but if it were me I'd get a new prop as it would probably be about as expensive to repair it.  Here is someplace to order a new one. http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/propeller-showcase/michigan-wheel/?cm_mmc=Google_Main-_-Props%3AGoogle%3AGreat+Lakes-_-Michigan+%28Opt%29%3AProps%3AGoogle%3AGreat+Lakes-_-michigan+wheel+props_Exact&mkwid=sMP9KYPJv&crid=69678357739&mp_kw=michigan%20wheel%20props&mp_mt=e&pdv=c&gclid=COCkl_ehx8YCFYKPHwodR0AE5g

Boat Repair Shop
53 Leicester St, Canandaigua, NY 14424
(585) 394-1860

Edited by Sk8man