Best King techniques

We need more info than that. Where did you fish? We're people catching fish around you?

I know this sounds like self promotion and slightly arrogant but you can take YEARS off your learning curve by taking just an evening trip with a reputable captain. Do some checking and make sure he's one of the ones that is actually willing to share info and actually SHOW you what he's doing and why. You will be amazed at what you'll learn in 4-8 hours and it will be the best money you spend all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

As usual Paul's comments are dead center on the target. There are some parts of the season where water temperature is basically irrelevant as fish will move way out of their so-called preferred temperature range to either feed or perhaps "attack" lures (e.g. pre-spawning kings staging). It's always best to look for bait or fish on the screen to increase your probabilities of catching....it is still no guarantee but you're playing the numbers game and the chances improve with those things present. :)  Many on us sport fishermen spend a fair amount of time out there especially us retired dinosaurs but the guys chartering as a rule spend much more time out there actively fishing than the average fisherman so from just that standpoint alone it may be worth the investment going on a charter and watching closely what is being done and asking carefully thought out questions so that you can fine tune your setups according to your own particular conditions or rig. When I've been on salt water charters in the distant past I actually took notes in a notebook and took pics of particular setups (with the captains permission). It all helps...and for the price of delaying buying a fancy setup you may be light years ahead of the game with the equipment you currently have.

Edited by Sk8man