How to tell if a fish is on 10 color lead core

Just started trolling this year. On my 10 color lead core rods we are having a hard time knowing when a laker is on. Yesterday on Owasco we had about dozen lakers hit that gave no indication on the rod tip they were on. I have Okuma Convector 55 reels, Okuma Classic Pro Glt leadcore 8'6" rods, and Cortland lead core line. We just kept checking the line frequently. Is this just the nature of using 10 colors or the rod setup I using?

I like to set the drag very lite, so any added resistance will pull the drag out. Good way to see when a skippy hits, then just tighten the drag to fight the fish. Good Luck

Capt Rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I like to set the drag very lite, so any added resistance will pull the drag out. Good way to see when a skippy hits, then just tighten the drag to fight the fish. Good Luck

Capt Rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What Rich said.

I have to agree with the above telephone pole comment. On my leadcore sets I fish Ugly Stick 8'6 ML rods. any slight change in line drag lights off like a smoke alarm. Although they are on the lighter end the rods can take the punisment of a big fish. I have mine matched with the Okuma Cold Water reels and it is a solid set up whether you are running them down the chute or out on boards.  If you are going to stick with your current set up, take the advice up above and set your drag tension just a hair north of what the line drag will pull out. Keep in mind that if this is the route you are gonna go.........Get on the rod quickly and tighten up a hair before he pukes the hook up. There is a ton of belly just by the nature of lead core.