Often times it's the smaller details that matter. I doubt a trolling plate is the cause of your lack of fish. Not trying to be a jerk - but how do you know you are doing everything the correct way to catch fish? Something as simple as a 5 degree difference in trolling direction some days is the difference between catching a big box and ending up with a goose egg. There is a huge learning curve with trolling - a lot of people think it's just driving around with some lures down...to do it right involves optimizing more variables than any other type of fishing in my opinion. Keep reading and ask questions - above all be open minded and willing to learn.

You could also have an issue with too high of a positive or a negative current going down tour cables. There has been some great studies concerning electrical current atracting or spooking fish from your spread. The black box and cannon downriggers regulate these currents. You can see the current your boat is putting out with a electrical meter. Try longer leads. The further away from the cable the less this current will efect your spread.

As stated above, there is a lot involved in making your spread work. This is only one piece. All boats fish differently. I have trolled right beside a friends boat with different results. What worked on his boat did not work on mine and vice versa.

Good luck. Welcome to the sometimes stressful salmon fishing on the big lake.

I've had a plate on my Mercury 2-stroke 90 for the last five years. Catch plenty of fish. Fish the marks and bait on your fish finder. Experiment with speed. 2.2-3.2

Fish a few different presentations. Spoons and attractors.

Buy Dan Keatings video "Keating on Kings". A lot of good info!