Lemons into Lemonade

Start out Dean's Cove 6:30. Headed south on the west side. Started a dipsey spread. 40, 50, 60, 70. Shortly after showing getting my spread out a Blue and White Star craft starts following me pretty much on top my lures.

After awhile of him following me I went in shallow, he followed, so I stopped a line short... 67 feet on setting 3... got all my lines in, down to the last.... Pole fires... rips some line. Small laker. Put the spread back out since I had slowed enough he had to go beside

me.... Soon as I #0 dipsey hit 240 it started peeling line.. pulled a 100ft of line till it started slowing down. It was a big bow. Got right up to the boat. Reached down to grab the fish... gone... should used the net but I hate dealing with the mess...

After that I found the fish in about 40 to 50 for another hour. Quit and went home. Someone said try shallow in an earlier report. So thanks to the Star Craft guy running my lines, I may have hit bottom a few times... But I got the big one on while they were watching... after that they left! Ha!

I love karma!!! Had the exact same thing happen to me only i got pushed out repeatedly into a weed slick i wanted no part of and i couldnt get rid of my shadow no matter how much i changed speed. I could have turned out and fouled a dozen lines but all i wanted was him to either lead or follow. Finally i hooked up then second rod fires. We fight both fish in on the side he couldnt see tho he tried with binoculars all the while im saying huge walleye...big fish...what a double....fish of a lifetime...etc. Was a bass and a 4 lb eye but he didnt know that and got pissed and left. He saw me catch a couple earlier when he passed me and i think he was trying to figure out what i was running...if he had hollered id have told him. There's so much lake and so much info out there with social media i dont understand what is so hard that pushes people to extremes just to catch a fish. Stop chasing boats, turn off the marine radio and just go fishing...its really quite fun doing it yourself.

Yeah, small Laker will do for the day, don't mind seeing a good one go back. Learned couple lessons today. Try all depths, shake your shadow, and keep switching it up till you get something to peel line.

Purple and Sliver stinger took the Laker and a Sutton 22 took the bow. Hope the guy makes more. The 71s also been producing well.

Ditto on Justin's "karma" comment Mike. My son and I once were in a perch tournament on Seneca and hammering the jumbos when a half dozen boats came right in on us making all kinds of racket with their engines and actually cast their sinkers right inside our boat.....probably good I had forgotten my flare gun that day :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I think he was trying to catch what ever I spooked off to the sides. He was using planner board with mini disc diver. Two down riggers. He was catching fish that what got me mad and why I pulled my lines in. I was letting line out when I decided to stop it and pull the others. I didn't even put the clicker on. When I got to it there was 120 feet out from 60 something... when I felt the tugs off the Laker, I immediately put my lines back out.

By then I was side by side with my shadow...dipsey depth works out to be 35 feet. Bow came on 40ft. Usually I just run them 40 down to 70. Beyond that I just let them out till something fires... Now I'll have to keep in mind trying shallower if they won't bite out deep. It was challenging working the inside, running into bottom, clearing mussels. But trying something new was rewarding. There wasn't a tournament today was there? Usually that's when I get someone shadowing me.

Anyone know what will get further out to the sides, dipsey on 3 or planner board? If I do a planner board setup, what's the best way to get depth?

Ditto on Justin's "karma" comment Mike. My son and I once were in a perch tournament on Seneca and hammering the jumbos when a half dozen boats came right in on us making all kinds of racket with their engines and actually cast their sinkers right inside our boat.....probably good I had forgotten my flare gun hat day :lol:

Agreed.  I don't troll so when I have to stop fishing and ask people to back off a little just so I can cast or drift through you know they are right on you.  They see you boating fish and they can't help themselves. I tell them what I am using when they ask but I bet they still don't have the patience for it.  It is not just the what but the how. 

Everybody wants to break into the 10% and it is human nature to think the other guy has it better.

True. He was catching fish and I wasn't... mainly cause he was right on my lines. Soon after I shook him... Blam. Fish. He was going faster then me, plus I run a bass boat trolling. I've had some people poke fun.... But there been a days when my boat is catching fish.... when I see other guys throwing their arms in the air.

Last time this happened on Seneca I just did a big U-turn... right on top my shadows lures...Guess who started catching fish again... I could understand if it was a tournament.... but being annoying.... how is that going to help increase chance of catching more and bigger fish...

True. He was catching fish and I wasn't... mainly cause he was right on my lines. Soon after I shook him... Blam. Fish. He was going faster then me, plus I run a bass boat trolling. I've had some people poke fun.... But there been a days when my boat is catching fish.... when I see other guys throwing their arms in the air.

Last time this happened on Seneca I just did a big U-turn... right on top my shadows lures...Guess who started catching fish again... I could understand if it was a tournament.... but being annoying.... how is that going to help increase chance of catching more and bigger fish...