Rebound

Joe I hope you have better luck than we did today at the north end. Lost a 6 pound plus bow about10 ft from the back of the boat and one hit and run on the wire out 250 (bow was 60 over 150 off downrigger Great Lakes Keuka Wobbler yellow and green. The weeds were modest at the north end but the fleas were the worst I've ever had on my lines 6-8 ft long and 1/2 inch around on the riggers (30 lb Sea Flee) and intermittent on the wire dipseys but wouldn't even come through the roller tips....what a pain. A lot of fish marked (mostly lakers) on or near bottom in 60-100 ft of water (wouldn't touch anything we tried even cowbells with cheaters above) and a lot of bait in 40-60 ft. Even when frequently checked the lines were 2-4 ft of fleas on them.

Edited by Sk8man

This time of season is usually good for the silvers right out deep a little south of Long Point to Dresden for the silvers down 40-80 fast troll small spoons and a lot of times you don't spot them on the finder before they hit

Edited by Sk8man

Come to the conclusion that Jigging or live bait is going to work well on Senece. Just my opinion but here's what I see from my experience.

Lots of bait since around May is making the fish so they don't have to chase as much. I've only caught a couple trolling, where as jigging I caught twice as many in a hour compared to the whole year of trolling Seneca.

Jigging is most likely having more success because of less energy expended by the fish to feed. Just my opinion tho. Love to hear what others think.

Usually locating active fish is one of the most important aspects as a starting point and the two methods are quite different in that regard. With trolling you are playing the odds in favor of covering many places to increase your chances whereas in jigging you locate fish and then spend an increased amount of time over them trying to get them to hit. If you don't encounter actively feeding fish neither strategy will work well. Each of these methods has its strengths and weaknesses.   For example still fishing with live bait is probably the most effective method for lakers but if they have been gorging themselves  or feeding at night in the moonlight before you locate them they may not even look at the bait.

Edited by Sk8man

I'm with Les, it all depends and one method can be better depending on conditions.  First thing that came to mind was jigging is not always a slow paced activity.  Some days you cannot reel in fast enough- those days the jig has got to be moving more than the 2-3 mph the lure goes when trolling.  I've always wondered how fast but never figured it out.  

So that would work against the conservation of energy theory.   But it's all about how active the fish are, like Les said.   Also doing the same jigging style all the time isn't going to work too well, same as trolling at the same speed with the same lure isn't always going to produce.  Different conditions, different style of jigging.  And different locations!  Depending on the moods you jig different areas.

I've been looking at how to dramatically increase chance by analyzing the maps for drop offs, points, bottom types, and how to fish the conditions.

Like you originally said, you gotta find active fish. Few weeks ago I found them carpeting the bottom. After 3 hours and one decent one on... I gave up. Learned a lesson that day, move on to the next spot, check back later with that school.

I read a few articles on fish behavior and schooling, one bass pro mentioned that when "carpet"the bottom he would just skip that school because most likely they were not feeding. I would assume that trout have same instincts. Each time out I learn a little more. Thanks again for the meet.

Getting those planer boards soon. Going try them bhai out as the water temps drop.

Hi guys....I"m preparing for hitting seneca on Monday thru Wednesday...have been following the conversation...we will be base camping and launching from Sampson... hoping for laker action or other as advised....please comment on a viable start point. Thanks in advance, Whitrook1

Hi guys....I"m preparing for hitting seneca on Monday thru Wednesday...have been following the conversation...we will be base camping and launching from Sampson... hoping for laker action or other as advised....please comment on a viable start point. Thanks in advance, Whitrook1[/quote

Start at Sampson in 100 to 130 did some Lakers and bows the other day until the weeds blew in from the South. This time of year you have some Lakers and silver fish out deep still with the bait. Many of the Lakers are moved in to the 65 to 100 ft range to set up for the spawn. If you can't get the deep water fish to go run in and drop a flasher and fly on their heads.

Well I'm back ....Sunday sucked with a heavy west wind and big rollers....Monday sucked with the same. Got beat up pretty good...Tuesday was the winner, fished the 100 ft section along the east side of the lake north of sampson to the point . got into them where the deep changes fromm 100+ to 80 +/_ . Two steel head and a decent laker.. dodger fly and green spoons. This morning nothing but tangled lines before we had to pull up by 10 am.  Thanks again for the encouragement and the info. much appreciated. ps. I saw very very few boats out there. Felt like somebody knew something I didn't.