Advice on replacing io engine

geezer

Found out I've got a cracked block. 2.5 liter 120hp mid seventies mercruiser in an 18' Starcraft. Want to know if later 3.0 liter 130/140hp engines have the same dimensions so as be a direct easy fit. If so it would make many more used engines as prospective swaps vs just looking at 120s. I'm sorta close to OO, anyone know who might have a fair priced engine? Also need to know if my out drive would fit any engine. It must be an early one, does not say 'alpha' on it. Boat is a '73, engine allegedly a few years newer. Thanks for any advice.

The blocks are the same size. Just make sure that the outdrive has the proper gear ratio for the engine that you plan on getting. There probably is a difference in the way the manifold connection to the exhaust looks. Yours is sort of rectangular and (upside down) U-shaped,while the newer 3 liter blocks have a round exhaust connection that does not go straight back but is offset at about 45 degrees. You will have to use the old engine u-shaped connection. It will either fit on as is or you will need an adapter.  But before you buy,you may want to get in touch with L&M (Hank). He does magical things with cracked blocks.

When you remove the block you have a very good opportunity to check the transom.

Edited by rolmops

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 1983 Citation 20ft  2.5 Mercruiser I/O. Motor has new head gasket, fuel pump, carb, thermostat, starter and others... runs great. only issues I have is with the outdrive chewing up the impeller.so I am selling the boat with easy roller trailer for $1500 OBO if interested. I need to make space for brand new boat in march so I am willing to work with you.

Geezer I had that exact same problem mine cracked on the back side under the exhaust manifold, I took the motor out, this was the reason the guy gave me the boat, stripped the the motor and took the block to a engine builder, he pressure checked the internal ways it checked out good, so he used a space age type cement and smeared the crack shut. That lasted for 4 years till I sold the boat and I still see it go on the trailer to our local lake. There's no internal pressure on a boat motor that is not a closed water system.

My 120 has significant water in the oil, so I believe the crack to be internal and unrepairable. I think I need another engine, would like to find one that runs so as to avoid expensive rebuild cost. Buying a cheap boat would be a good option but not at $1,500.00. Thanks for responses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...