Hi guys,  I would like to know the easiest and best way to catch these giant lake trout.  I live near Owasco Lake  and back in the 90's lake trout fishing was awesome.  We mainly used moon-eyes and vertical jigging.  I was wondering If anyone ever tried these techniques for lake trout.  I really miss catching those lakers out of Owasco and it would "make my day" to catch one over 15lbs.  Any advice on where, what to use, technique, etc?

Lake Ontario in the Rochester basin from Sandy Creek to Webster Park is the best stretch of Lake Trout water on Lake Ontario IMO.   Cowbells and spin n glows dragged along the bottom at 1.0-1.8 mph will catch you more lakers than you can handle.  Check out this link http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/56147-custom-spin-n-glow-rigs/

Edited by GAMBLER

Thanks for the info Gambler.  I will have to see if I can get some guys together for a charter.  Really appreciate your advice and info about rigs.  They look awesome.  They will be a  great addition to my lake trout fishing days on Ontario in the Rochester Basin.

I would like to chime in on this one as well.  Those lake trout rigs gambler is selling are spot on.  The blades on those don't have the resistance that the northern king brand I have do.  I do not know that you really need to have copper though.  It will help hold bottom but is expensive.  I just use mono and have no problem.  Make sure your rigger weights are heavier ones.  Trying with 6 or 8lbers would be a pain.  Some days are tough to hold bottom with the currents being strong.  If your line is going strait back off the boat it means you have a substantial amount of blow back and you will need to let out a lot of line to hold bottom.  Most of the time if you are not on bottom you will not get them even if they are there.  Constantly check your lines and readjust your rigger depth. Let it bounce on bottom and bring it up 1-3 ft.  Wait a minute and do it again.  Changing trolling direction can help a lot as well.  One direction may be awful and a pain and the other may be much better.  Holding bottom in 80ft is much easier that 130ft.  So you may want to start a little shallower if currents are strong.  Gamblers comment about speed is also an important one.  The slow speeds work great and you may find you have a tough time going that slow depending on your setup.  I needed to get a trolling plate for my motor so I could go slow enough to get them.  You can get them with faster speeds but it is not ideal.  When I was starting out I had to play around a lot and I did not get great explanations on how to work everything. (messages like "copper and downriggers" certainly do not explain how to do things) so if you have any questions feel free to message me.

That's some great info on fishing for lakers.  I have a large electric motor 24 volt that can really go slow.  I have some pretty heavy weight which I think will work.  I also wondering if anyone ever fished for them with 1.5 oz white jigs with fluke tails on them or if anyone ever fished for lakers with mooneyes and sliding sinkers.  I would think this would work but I think they mostly feed on gobies now.  I didn't get any responses.  Somebody told me Screwy louey sells sawbellies (mooneyes) which I have to check out.  Thanks again mattym22.  I'm new to this forum stuff and I have to find out how I message an individual.  Really appreciate your friendly helpful attitude.  Thanks again.

I jig them a lot. I use spoons that are 2 or 3 ounces. If I use plastics ill use a 3 to 5 ounce jig head based on the wind. I like to go big with 5 to 7 inch white or chartreuse swim baits. Definitely add a stinger hook. I usually start in 60 feet of water and head to 100.

Thanks KilliansRed.  Now I would feel more comfortable trying this technique since I know someone else has been doing it.  Get any real big lakers?  The guys here on Owasco Lake catch a lot of lakers jigging.  They drop the jig then reel up as fast as you can........covering all the depths.  I like to jig it up about 4 to 5 feet in a real jerky motion then let it down very slowly  like a minnow that's almost dead and is fighting it.  It works here.

Edited by guzd

I catch a lot in the 8 to 12 pound range but some get close to 20. I hit bottom then lift in 2 feet or so and rip it up then let it flutter down. If im using a swimbait or a rippin rap ill reel it in slow and get them too. Sometimes ill cast them out and bounce them back to the boat and lakers will just pick it up and start swimming away with it.