Replacing Transducer

tedc54

Somehow the transducer for my Humminbird 998 HD SI was damaged this weekend. I need a new one. Do I need the exact some transducer? Is their a better choice? I am going to call my nearby Minnkota Authorized Repair Center, but thought someone may have some suggestions or advice.

Thanks.

I believe the short answer is "yes you do need the same transducer" (or one with the same configuration) to effectively achieve the intended results. This could however be either a thru hull or transom mounted type. This is to get the most from your unit (e.g. DI or SI etc.)There may be other manufacturers (e.g. Airmar) that make a compatible one too. It may still be possible to use the unit with a standard (non-SI) but matched transducer but you won't get the special features out of it. I'm not a Humminbird guy though so this may be different than the Lowrance units that I am familiar with.

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks. I believe I will keep it simple and just get the "same transducer." I have no idea what I hit with it, but it is pretty well smashed up. Cannot think of an "incident." :)

Edited by tedc54

It could even happen with the boat going back on the trailer wrong or even a stone in the road hitting it. They can be pretty fragile if directly struck by something. Good luck with it.

If you're going to change, consider if Airmar makes a compatible sonar. Their transducers are WAY better.  The clarity will be way better and it will last longer. 

One way manufacturer's reduce the price of their units is to use cheaper transducers which compromises quality of signal.  This is where Airmar steps in to correct.