converting into a drive-on trailer

dremarquis

Hi all,

i have an old 16' deep-V starcraft with a basic small boat trailer with tiny (narrow) rollers. On lakes like hemlock (without a sheltered ramp), getting it on the trailer in high winds can be very difficult. I have been thinking about how to convert my trailer into a "drive-on" trailer, but before i get to working on it, i figured it best to check with this board for info.

i thought that if i mounted 2x4s of 2x6s to run 3/4 length of boat/trailer (at the correct angle and cover them with carpet), that would be sufficient - because i see many trailers like that. Then it occurred to me, that that could be fine for a boat that wasn't a deep-V (i have had trouble at some ramps loading my boat - at certain angles, the keel of my boat hits/rubs the trailer, so i have to back in more or less to get the right angle).

any suggestions for how to convert my trailer so i can actually drive my deep-V onto the trailer?

many thanks,

andre

I changed from rollers to sliders so I could drive my 16 lund on.Its not deep V. I did not use the trailer that came with the boat it was to narrow but I had a spare, bigger than needed but it works great. I had to reverse the spring to lower it, or there was no getting it off.The back cross bar was vee shaped and you will need that.I thank you will need mounting brackets for the sliders and side guides to keep the boat straight in a cross wind. If your trailer is to narrow the boat will sway at higher speed,you would be better off finding an other trailer.

You know....all boats can be tuff to trailer in high winds. That being said...I have had 2 roller trailers and drove onto both of them without problems. Once your on the rollers, just keep it in gear with just enough throttle to keep the boat from rolling backwards. Then....assuming your solo, walk to the front and lean over to attach your clip. The smaller the boat....the easier it is. My 18 ft lund fisherman was a breeze with a roller trailer. I now own two bunk trailers and I kinda miss the rollers.

When retrieving your boat with a roller trailer, only put the trailer in the water to submerge the end rollers. When you pull with the winch, the boat will follow the rollers up and the wind will not screw you up. Too many guys try to float their boat on the roller trailer and end up with a crooked retrieve.