trolling motor hp reccomendations

salmonite

I run an 8 hp on my 17 foot Lund and it trolls nice both slow and fast. Suggest you look for something with an alternator so you can charge your battery as you troll.

I am not sure but I had a 1995 4hp evinrude push a 1996 16' spectrum aluminum from 0 to 5 mph without any problems. Buy the way I have a adjustable kicker bracket with the quick remove plate to mount on the boat and the outboard to outboard ez steer for it to. If your intersted let me know and I will work out an asking price.

Sal. 2.3 won't cut it in the wind. You won't be able to steer with it.A 4-5-6-HP would be fine. You should consider the added weight of a higher HP engine. Ya you would want the alternator. I ran a 3.9 on a 16ft and it was good most of the time. Its sure nice to have that second motor,get enough to push the boat in rough water. Good luck.

consider the different circmstances you might need a little extra horses in the kicker to do more than 2.4mph.

1) You got an extra motor to cover for a break down on the main engine so you can get back to port in reasonable time.

2) If you plan to use it as your main engine for use on some lakes where the required hp is 10 or less (like Hemlock and a few others).

3) Wind and waves are a real setback trolling west especially against the currents in Ontario.

4) Four stroke 2 cyl. kicker has the torque to turn a 3 blade prop to help in the steering department, not to mention sips gas like fine wine.

5) Environmental rules may change on certain lakes as they have in the past where the motor must be 4 stroke and even of an apropriate manufacture year to be compliant with rules on fuel contamination of their waters.

Just a few of the things I can think of....I run a 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on a 4500 lb center console with t-top and enclosure through the wind and waves going west in the big o and have been very satisfied with the results. There are occasions where the wind would slow the troll but a little tweak on the throttle and all is back to normal. If you need a little more you can always start the main for a little extra boost with out changing the throtle setting on the kicker.....Food for thought ;)

8 hp on up we all know youll be getting a bigger boat ,well everyone but your wife.They should always be the last to know.(less chance of deal gone bad).Thats what i did she wasnt as excited as me as she gave me that look(i think it was envy poor girl).But the door hinges musta been lubed that day as the door slamed awfull hard behind her.Coulda been the wind.

all really good advice! thanks guys. i don't fish lake o with my 16 ft. i really only fish lake ondeida, conesus, honeyeo. so the huge waves aren't an issue. just looking for a little cheaper than running my 40hp. not that it sucks a lot of gas but any that i can save these days..... the other reason i was trying to get away with the lower hp is i wanted the gas tank mounted with it and of course its cheaper.

also thanks gene i may want the bracket and the easy steer if the price is right but i gotta find a motor first. i will keep you in mind.