Boat setup

Quick question, is there a good way to set up downrigger that are easy to remove? I have swivel mounts now, however when I use the boat socially they get in the way. I can't use quick released because my boat is in a cradle and can't have the arms over the side. I've never tried gimble mounts, how do they work?

Cannon makes a release block or something like that it's called the rigger snaps into this and you can push in a tab and remove the rigger. Then all that's there is there is the swivel mount. This screws to the main mount and the rigger slides in & out of this piece. I'll look it up be right back!! It's called a tab release, I have used these for years never had a problem. I take my riggers off whenever not using them. It's on the 2nd page, under Cannon downrigger releases. Hope that's what your looking for!!!

Edited by pap

Thanks will it work with big Jon's?

AWW shyt, I don't think so. I just thought about what I have, not thinking Cannon isn't the only rigger out there. Sorry for getting your hopes up.

• 2 weeks later...

Tracks ! Stay away from gimbal mounts on a rough day they bounce around and the pin can pop out of the grove of the gimbal and you can loose a rigger.... it almost happened to me

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have used gimal mounts on my Whaler for 14 years and have never had one single issue or problem with them. I used the Cannon gimbal mounts and they are very solid. I use four of them frequently and if there was some weakness it would have shown up long ago. You just have to make sure the inserts in your gunwales are solidly made and deep enough. My 4 electric plugins are located right nearby so I can switch out downriggers if a potential problem arises with either a connection or downrigger etc. ....never a problem either. I also use outrigger holders out of 2 of them with 4 rods for wire rigs and Seth Greens.They are VERY flexible in terms of usage. The pic below is from a while ago but in the downrigger holder is a Seth green rig with a 40 oz. sinker and 5 leaders so they can take a lot of strain too (as well as the standard Cannon rod holders :) A nice feature of this setup is that I can take the riggers on and off immediately and store them securely and when my boat is also used recreationally in the hot summer months. The only holes driilled in my boat were for the motor bracket, transducer  and depth finder...otherwise you'd never know it is a fishing boat :lol:

post-145411-0-64907700-1466775932_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-56088600-1466776359_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-20660900-1466777108_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-70974000-1466777290_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man