My first red worm

BSmaster

I found my first red worm ever filetting out a sunfish this weekend.  I have had plenty of experiences with the yellow (I pick em out)  and black grubs  (ignore em) but the redworm was eerily similar to my experiences with fresh cod and haddock.  This was a few inches long and very thin.  I had to do a double take because I didn't believe it at first.  Hard to deny it when it started moving around after I pulled it out of the meat.  It makes me wonder if this is the first time I encountered one or if this is the first time I noticed one and have encountered many.

Moral of the story is that I filleted over 150 gills/pumpkin seeds this spring and this is the first one I have ever seen (ever) in fresh water fish.  While a lot of chefs say do not over cook your fish, I say make sure it is cooked. 

Cant deny the yuck factor there....... I suppose like with any animal, if you clean enough of them some will have parasites...... But some are better than others I guess. Never seen a red worm. I will be looking now!