Wire Line Breaking?

I had my wireline snap before the twilli tip on my setup. went to pop the dipsey and the line just snap. The drag was not set that tight. Any idea what happen? it was a costly break. dipsey, flasher flies all gone.

Pat

I run 7 strand all year on Erie. With client especially, it is not unusual

for me to have to cut off a few feet, some times a couple times a day.

It pigtails, or gets twisted. That would be my guess.

John

Lost a good fish, dipsy, spin doc and fly today. Running 200' back over 180. Got a screamer, ran out another 100 go in about 50, ran out again and snap. Clean break.

might not be a bad idea to hold the rod and put the wire out slow and inspect on ocasion or add small weight and do a inspection specially before a derby during the prefishing . what a better way to guarntee a rigger to fire than to have 950ft of line out doing a inspection :shock:

might not be a bad idea to hold the rod and put the wire out slow and inspect on ocasion or add small weight and do a inspection specially before a derby during the prefishing . what a better way to guarntee a rigger to fire than to have 950ft of line out doing a inspection :shock:

Sounds like fun :D I lost 200 feet of wire. Should i respool the wire. i have 800 feet left with backing. Want to make sure its all right to run that same rig again with out adding more wire.

Pat

When we run wire for stripers it is not uncommon for the line to break at the rod tip. What happens is the line gets fatigued from constantly working on the rod tip. Especially if the angle comming off the tip is a sharp one. The wire moving back and forth in the same spot weakens it and then you get a hit and POP it breaks at the tip. This is on roller tips.

It is more common when jigging with the tip raised to high causing a sharp angle on the line where it leaves the rod tip. It has happened trolling too but with less frequency.

Not sure if it applies to your problem but I figured I would throw it out there for an FYI.

Spike

I'm feeling the same way. Rebuy every thing and then lose another 25 - 30 bucks. I belive the break off was from the twilly tip. So iam going to keep a better eye out for kinks.

Pat

Wire is a fairly touchy material to work with. You have to keep tension on it all the time or it'll pigtail and kink. Once it kinks, it's doomed to break. We trim off a few feet whenever it gets to looking ratty and re-tie it. Without question, wire takes the majority of our Kings each and every year. It's definitely worth the learning curve. Once you master it you'll wonder how you ever fished without it.

Pat, when I trip out the dipseys I point the rod to the back, thumb the wire and give it a long even sweep up to trip out the diver. I have had newbie's snap my wire when they lowered the rod quick and gave it a quick jerk up.

Dont know if this will help but to keep tension on our wire attach a small bungee cord to the swivel and then to the reel after fishing. This allow there to be constant tension on the wire. We also dont break our wire rods down. We just lay them on the floor when we go home for the week. Since we started doin this we dont see nearly as much pigtailing.

best way i found well letting a dipsy out is once the dipsy goes under the water let it out by drag only loosen the drag and let it work out slow not only will this keep the wire tight but it works as a fish finder to well the dipsy is working its way out u will get a strike then you know where to set the dipsy