tagging system

hole punching fish  

39 members have voted

1. 1. hole punching fish

• yes
    • no

anyone catches a fish with a hole in the right rear fin let us know. me and some buddys are hole punching the small fish we are releasing. we want to see where these fish go so if u catch one it was caught and released in sodus point. we r just wondering if these pen project fish r really returning seems how sodus point doesnt mark the fish they release . this will be very interesting to see where they go.

Have you given any thought to the danger you might be putting those fish in? "Punching a hole" in a meaty fin can subject the fish to infection, fungus and a myriad of diseases.

I would also question the effectiveness of a hole punch on a fish fin. Fins regenerate easily and, more than likely, will be completely healed over before the fish is ever caught again therby invalidating your "research". That is, of course, IF the fish survives the stress of being caught, handled, "punched" and then released.

If you insist on doing this I would suggest you contact the DEC and see if there is anything you can do (or use) that would be more reliable and SAFE and still provide accurate data.

I would definatly contact the DEC about your method and see what they say. I agree with everything Paul said, these fish go through enough stress from being caught and released besides popping a hold through their fin.

Stop poking holes till you talk to them and Let us know what the DEC tells you.

Back in the old days my father and I would punch a hole in the tail of bass we caught in our local ponds. The hole would heal over but leave a definate scar that you could see. We would use a paper punch that left a small hole and punch off to one side of the tail. Our record was a largemouth that had 4 marks and weighed 6 lbs 5 oz. I could see Pauls point about the meaty fins but doesn't the DEC do fin clips? Alot of the lakers we use to take in the Finger Lakes were clipped and it sure didn't bother those fish. Cayuga and Seneca turned into Laker factorys.

Glen

Bub:

What you are doing is possibly illegal - DEC regulations state that any fish which is to be released must be done immediately (i.e. cannot be put in a livewell and then released later - the only exception is largemouth bass) and must be released uninjured. My guess is poking a hole in a fin is considered "injuring the fish".

My guess is if you call the DEC they'll halt your project immediately.

- Chris

punching a hole in a fin isnt any differant than fin clipping or cutting a fin off these are all methods of tagging. do u realize the danger u put the fish in when u hook it then release it all the same stuff think about it if infection can be caused by this why do they fin clip or cut fins off. as for handleing the fish u dont even have to touch them only with the hole punch. can punch a hole and release with out touching it. how about fishing the salmon river foul hooking a steelie during the salmon run then putting it back in the river there is another one we can go on and on. anyway i will find out and let u know how i make out. thank u all for your opinions