When Salmon kick your butt...go for Gold

HuntNY

Well the Salmon fishing on the East end of the lake has humbled and baffled me. My last 5 outings has resulted in one break off and one dropped fish...by far my biggest struggle. So myself and a couple friends decided to shift gears and head out for Gold instead. We all had some spots in mind to try and find the elusive Lake O giants. We first started out catching a few bass and as it got dark we thought they outsmarted us again. We kept working the area into the night and about 30 minutes after dark a rod went...Boom, 26" 7 pound fish! We made another pass and Boom 30.5" 10 pound fish! We started to make another pass and the wind started to pick up. We decided to call it. What an awesome fish, it never gets old and it is never easy, but everytime you have the privilege to hold one of these monsters it just makes your day...it keeps you coming back...I don't usually keep these big fish but they had significant damage when they inhaled the baits, a little mercury doesnt hurt every once in a while! The 10 pounder may make my buddies wall, they were packed on ice.post-151983-14723924627219_thumb.jpgpost-151983-14723924747409_thumb.jpgpost-151983-14723924856687_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice 'eyes! I eat some of the " smaller" ones from the East end area of the Lake and if it makes ya feel any better, from what I've researched mercury is not one of the pollutants in them. Which is good because mercury collects in the meat of the fish. The one's listed in the consumption advisories collect mostly (or only) in the fat of the fish. So nice lean fillets should theoretically remove a majority of them. Can you or anyone else on here recommend a good taxidermist in the Syracuse area? I'm kicking around the idea of getting a mount done as well.

There are several good Taxidermist... Animal Art, Fran Mosier, did my PB ice Eye and I think it looks better than the actual fish did...he does not do replicas so you might have to shop around.  There is a guy on here that has shown some awesome work and he lives in the Mexico area as well.  His handle on here is Fishmounter.  He does replicas...

Edited by HuntNY