side scan is it useful?

scobar

Looking to upgrade and see where bottom scan looks helpful, but not sure of the added cost for the side scan is worth the extra bills. I troll erie & ontario, thoughts...?

Most side scans add about $500 to units.

• 2 weeks later...

I have downscan and it's a basic start. Wish I had sidescan, but my application is different as I primarily cast in much shallower water for bass Pike walleye etc. Although I do occasionally troll for walleye. I have seen many vids including finders with side scan and the ability to see things like humps,channels,ridges,sunken objects and SCHOOLS OR SINGLE fish from another angle seems to be a superior advantage in my opinion. With my downscan fish will show up but I can't tell if they are on my left or right. With sidescan I could. 20-50 ft off makes all the difference in catching fish. When taxes come I will be getting a side scan. I do have hummingbird. I prefer to catch fish and investing in a tool that will help me, when I do have the money, will go a long way for years to come. Hope that helps

I had side scan on my previous fish finder. It was great when fishing next to a steep upcoming bottom and real close to shore (100 feet). When using it in the middle of the lake my readings turned into snow because the reading became indefinite together with surface clutter. In short a mess. This was a humminbird unit.