Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sean Youngblood

Fat on bucks

The mild winter last year must have really helped the deer out.I have harvested a good share of bucks.Never have I seen so much fat on a buck as the one I got with my bow.I have gotten does that were leaner.My taxidermist said the same thing.He said all the bucks he has skinned this year have all had a lot of fat on them. 

The mild winter last year must have really helped the deer out.I have harvested a good share of bucks.Never have I seen so much fat on a buck as the one I got with my bow.I have gotten does that were leaner.My taxidermist said the same thing.He said all the bucks he has skinned this year have all had a lot of fat on them. 

Its always a good sign of health to see the fat on them but Bucks load up to fortify them through the relentless breeding season. Love em and leave em until nary a one is left is how they are programmed to pursue "ready" does. Sometimes very little feeding can take place for the top end breeder bucks, and even in a healthy populations there have been many documented cases of Bucks literally "rutting to death".  Congrats on your 2016 Bow buck.