Is 16 foot deep v to wimpy for the big lake?

Windknot

I agree with battle hammer… living near Ontario you will catch trolling bug and want the largest TRAILERABLE boat you can afford. I fish the Finger Lakes and Ontario in my Tracker Targa 175. It sucks coming into Oswego harbor because it kicks to 2-3 ft rollers when other are just heading out of the break wall. If It is way too rough on Ontario you will have many other options with a trailerable boat.

9 hours ago, battlehammer said:

Lots of sound advice on here. I fished a 16' deep V when I first started fishing Ontario in the early 90's. After 3 years and the addiction kicked in my dad and I upgraded to a bigger boat.Being able to go out in rougher water is great and the fishing can be dynamite but it's not a whole lotta fun personally. I'm just a weekend warrior looking for a nice relaxing day of fish catching with friends and family. Tough to relax in bigger waves and everything is just a little tougher to do. Living where you are you have tons of options to find some quieter water as an alternative. I would look for the biggest TRAILERABLE boat you can afford and remember, Lake O can look "Doable" ( countless times have we said it's capping but doesn't look to bad as we are driving down the road )but once you hit the water it's rougher than you think- good luck with the boat purchase- you have no idea what your in for once the trolling bug takes over your every thought!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I actually caught the trolling bug long ago, on a much smaller scale though. My family had a cabin on a lake in the poconos and some of my fondest memories are of my father and uncle drinking beer and trolling up and down the lake.  My beer days are over but I'm looking forward to trolling on a grand scale now.

No replacment for displacement in this case hull displacement. If you are primarily fishing big water I would be getting something close to 20'. Not saying 20' is big enough but my 23' fiberglass has taken a beating and has had me out in some big waves, I think the biggest were 10'-12' rollers and 8' white caps. Either way I got back to port safely but not dry.

This just showed up on Craigslist. It's smaller than I'd want for the lake, but I love my Mr. Pike 17' and this is the 16.5' version.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/5988266154.html

Alternatively, this is the same boat that TripleS fishes and I've seen him out in some gnarly, gnarly conditions and he trailers everywhere.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/bod/5968835712.html

Edited by Gator

Can't beat the displacement of a Starcraft hull. I have a Superfisherman 19.5' and have been caught in some less than desirable conditions. I am very much a fair weather fisherman these days, but I was able to run about 25 mph into 4' waves last spring coming back from the Niagara bar to Wilson. She cut right through the waves without slamming the hull down into the breakers too bad. Every Lund I have seen, their hull is too shallow and Pro V's have too much bow room for trolling. My buddy has a 2000 Pro V and I get wet from water coming over the bow instead of pushing off to the side. Nice boats but there are better options.

I agree with you. Lund gets the job done, but you'd better be wearing Gore-tex if it's rough out. We take my boat to Lake Champlain Alburg Islands area and run all over the place. When it gets gnarly, there's inevitable spray. Of course, there are benefits, too, particularly backtrolling or bass fishing in the wind. And you can't beat their build quality.

If I had to choose one aluminum boat strictly for trolling, no doubt I'd go with a Superfisherman.

Starcraft Superfisherman is an awesome boat! I think my first boat was a 1997 Starcraft Superfisherman 140T. It was blue and white with a 40hp tiller and could take a lot for such a small boat. If I could choose any aluminum boat it would be the Starcraft Fishmaster 2100. I don't care about the rear casting platform because if I'm casting I'm gonna be in the front and my company would be in the back and would have to deal with the rear high wall. Awesome dance floor for trolling. I was drooling over them at the syracuse boat show last year. 

Edited by boho607

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here which I think is worth mentioning is just how fast the weather can turn ugly ahead of major fronts.  Not only is it important to watch the weather - but for someone without a lot of experience on Lake Ontario its important to note how quickly things can and do change.  You can go from a light 1 foot chop to towering waves in very little time.  Obviously the smaller your boat - the more sensitive you need to be to this. 

Edited by AnglingAddict

Starcraft Superfisherman is an awesome boat! I think my first boat was a 1997 Starcraft Superfisherman 140T. It was blue and white with a 40hp tiller and could take a lot for such a small boat. If I could choose any aluminum boat it would be the Starcraft Fishmaster 2100. I don't care about the rear casting platform because if I'm casting I'm gonna be in the front and my company would be in the back and would have to deal with the rear high wall. Awesome dance floor for trolling. I was drooling over them at the syracuse boat show last year. 

Yes it is. In my opinion the best all around fishing platform. Wide and deep hull to handle big waves, yet it drafts only 16" I believe. I moor it right in front of my campsite when we go to various Adirondack lakes. IMG_1486300775.984807.jpg