Giant Oswego Musky

9 minutes ago, longtimefisherman said:

Nice mount...that's the fish that caused quite a stink on the board here because it wasn't released, though it was apparently hurt pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Gills were destroyed by spoons treble hook! Better to harvest a dead fish than let it rot. Now there is a mold to save many other fish.

Nice Muskies Fishmounter. I really like your scale detail and paint work on the patterns of the fish.  Very realistic looking.  It seems muskie patterns can be pretty difficult to successfully duplicate.  A tiger muskie would probably be a big challenge.  I looked around on your website last week and didn't see any other examples of muskies you have done.  You also asked for feedback on the other muskie mount you did of the Susquehanna fish.  (Actually now that i look again you didnt ask for feedback. I thought you did) Are you newer to doing muskie mounts?  I saw lots of bass and trout.

Just some constructive criticism from an avid muskie fisherman who has handled and released over a couple thousand of these fish...I like the eyes and teeth better on the Oswego fish than the Susquehanna fish.  Less yellow on the eye and teeth appear to be a more accurate size and number on this mount. Don't make the teeth too big or make too many of them. There is also usually one tooth that is wider than the others (almost like a molar).  The only other thing I think you can improve upon at this point is your paint for the fins.  While the white outline on the fins looks great, I don't think that's an accurate representation of a muskies fins. Most of the fish I've handled or have pictures of do not have white outline around the pectoral, pelvic, or dorsal fins.  Those are usually the redish color (or whatever base color) all the way to the edges of the fins. Now, there may be a little whitish edge on the front of the anal fin and/or the bottom of the caudal fin. With that being said, muskies from different water bodies can look very different, so none of them are the same.

I hope you don't take offense to my comments.  I'm just trying to provide some feedback and hopefully help you make your replicas look as real as possible for your customers.

7 hours ago, Ivan said:

Nice Muskies Fishmounter. I really like your scale detail and paint work on the patterns of the fish.  Very realistic looking.  It seems muskie patterns can be pretty difficult to successfully duplicate.  A tiger muskie would probably be a big challenge.  I looked around on your website last week and didn't see any other examples of muskies you have done.  You also asked for feedback on the other muskie mount you did of the Susquehanna fish.  (Actually now that i look again you didnt ask for feedback. I thought you did) Are you newer to doing muskie mounts?  I saw lots of bass and trout.

Just some constructive criticism from an avid muskie fisherman who has handled and released over a couple thousand of these fish...I like the eyes and teeth better on the Oswego fish than the Susquehanna fish.  Less yellow on the eye and teeth appear to be a more accurate size and number on this mount. Don't make the teeth too big or make too many of them. There is also usually one tooth that is wider than the others (almost like a molar).  The only other thing I think you can improve upon at this point is your paint for the fins.  While the white outline on the fins looks great, I don't think that's an accurate representation of a muskies fins. Most of the fish I've handled or have pictures of do not have white outline around the pectoral, pelvic, or dorsal fins.  Those are usually the redish color (or whatever base color) all the way to the edges of the fins. Now, there may be a little whitish edge on the front of the anal fin and/or the bottom of the caudal fin. With that being said, muskies from different water bodies can look very different, so none of them are the same.

I hope you don't take offense to my comments.  I'm just trying to provide some feedback and hopefully help you make your replicas look as real as possible for your customers.

Ivan, Thanks for comments. I have mounted a lot of Muskies over the years.

Please see reference picture attached(clearly white on fins). Also Customer requested teeth to protrude more on the one fish. I always do what customer wants (even if I disagree). I also paint to client pictures provided.

Thanks for the info. FM

musky fins.png