Scales On/Off Filleted Salmon

I always skin my salmon when filleting so I've never bothered to remove the scales.

I was wondering about you guys that BBQ or smoke salmon with skin on if you remove the scales before you steak it up or fillet.

I was born in Minnesota and moved to Oregon when I was about 8 years old. I remember Gramp's always scaled the fish in Minnesota. I can still picture the galvanized scaler he kept in the fishin shed. Its fun to reminisce about the good ole' days. Well back to the subject of the here and now. Halibut I will always leave skin on whether cooking or smoking. When I fillet a King Salmon or a Silver the skin gets scaled if it's going to hit the oven. When it comes to smokin fish I have a few brine recipes that work great for me and the scales don't pose a problem. I hope to catch a Walleye this year out of the Columbia and I will post on how that goes.

It is probably better if you have any concerns about the warnings to remove the scales/skin. I have grilled them with the skin on and off but I always usually grill or broil/bake in a foil packet anyway for easier cleanup. With the skin off you could cook directly on the grill, you just have to either rub olive oil on the grates or the fish so it won't stick. In my opinion the health benefits of salmon far outway the concerns,but I don't eat it every day either. I wouldn't take the time to scale the fish though. Well time to go to the freezer and pull out some more fillets. - Mick

I fillet mine ann freeze them skin on, they will not freezer burn on that side if it gets a little air, had some bad foodsaver bags last year.

Far as cooking, I leave the skin on and BBQ as is with out turning, if the skin burns no biggy, seems to keep the meat moister too, when it is cooked, flip it in a pan, take off the skin and lateral line and you are in business, never had a problem with scales.

if you want to do something else, just skin it and do what ever you have in mind.