broken motor mounting pad

fisherdude

broken motor mounting pad

i would like to give a shout to Chris Hansen from Marine Tech Products . they just replace a Panther motor mounting pad after i found it broke on the lake . he ask me a few questions one of them was do i take the kicker off when towing . my answer was no i don't it is electric start and has throttle controls . he told me not taking it off while towing a voids the warranty , but  you  just bought in the winter so we will replace it , and i was  told that if happen again i will be on my own . this bracket is rated for 263 lbs and up to a 35 hp my tohatsu is a 8 hp and weights 110 lbs. i am not sure how i broke it, i think it was in rough water it was taking a beating on the way in on Cayuga and Seneca in the derby . i have taken steps to make sure it don't happen again and strap it up better  when towing . in closing i would like to say it is nice to see a company go out of the way to keep their customers happy . DSCN0115.thumb.JPG.a677b198905fdc51e5646dec90277c7f.JPGDSCN0106.thumb.JPG.1e868723cf6dfe7ea89bab75aa37a0fa.JPGDSCN0107.thumb.JPG.8de0403d768492f1fdb3eaebd414aed6.JPG

53 minutes ago, Roughrider IV said:

What's the material? Metal or plastic?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

it is plastic . a friend made me a pad out 1/4 aluminium plate and 1 3/4 oak and i had the carb adjusted on my tohatsu . we fished yesterday it ran so much better with a lot lses vibration . we are thinking now the vibration was a big reason it crack and rough water finish it off . 

Edited by fisherdude

I find it hard to believe that they say you can't tow with the kicker on these mounts. If the mount can't handle the kickers weight on it while towing how could it possibly hold up to the pounding it will take as your flying down the lake?  I've seen way to many of those plastic ones break to trust one with 3k worth of engine on it.

17 minutes ago, slow rollin said:

I find it hard to believe that they say you can't tow with the kicker on these mounts. If the mount can't handle the kickers weight on it while towing how could it possibly hold up to the pounding it will take as your flying down the lake?  I've seen way to many of those plastic ones break to trust one with 3k worth of engine on it.

i agree first time buying a panther motor bracket . the one that came on my boat is wood mounting pad but only rated for a two stroke . i tried  to find a new wood mounting pad on the web but all i would find is plastic .as i said above we change things up, working good now.