Worked my schedule out so I could fish today and it wasn't too bad. Got out to 200 FOW and set up hit a fish right away on the dipsy out 240 on a one setting but somehow it removed the entire treble hook from the spoon and left the split ring?? Put a new treble on and got a 23.5 pound king on the same spoon. Then hit one on a blue dolphin SD with a green/silver fly down 70. Gave it another hour then pulled back into port since I had a party to go to. Screen was full of bait but not to many hooks.

IMG_0784.thumb.JPG.accee80ccda35e3e59f5477122f9f980.JPG

IMG_0787.thumb.JPG.1c20ee913b1063143d32cb75df683e23.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would be a little worried about your termination with the spoon shown in picture.  A good duolock snap will help with the spoons ability to be free to move back and forth.  The size of the hole you are direct tied to would put the knot at risk for slipping.  If you want to tie direct, try a loop-style knot.  There was a test of knot strength on "knot wars" put on by the show North American Angler.  They tested various loop knot designs for break strength.  You should be able to look at archives of their show to get an idea for a good loop knot if that is what you are looking for.  

I think the "King-Sling" knot won the contest if my memory serves.

Edited by Gill-T

If you run a flurocarbon leader you can afix your leader with a Spro swivel. I think the #8 is rated at 50lbs and you can either make the leader the length of the rod making netting the fish possibly, some will argue this point but I reel the swivele through the eyes which is very doable. The swivele will also fit through your reel guides. I've never had an issue, some say it ripped the ceramic eyes out, for that reason I don't run ceramic eyes on my salmon rods. This will eliminate the line twist. Good luck and tight lines to you!! PAP.

I've never had an issue with line twist on spoons even without a swivel. Knot wars was a great show to learn some new things, I used to watch it all the time. Maybe I'll have to do an experiment with the same lures at the same depth one with a swivel and see if it improves my catch rate. Thanks for the tips guys I'll give them a try!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

7 hours ago, Gill-T said:

I would be a little worried about your termination with the spoon shown in picture.  A good duolock snap will help with the spoons ability to be free to move back and forth.  The size of the hole you are direct tied to would put the knot at risk for slipping.  If you want to tie direct, try a loop-style knot.  There was a test of knot strength on "knot wars" put on by the show North American Angler.  They tested various loop knot designs for break strength.  You should be able to look at archives of their show to get an idea for a good loop knot if that is what you are looking for.  

I think the "King-Sling" knot won the contest if my memory serves.

Will a split ring up top achieve the same effect? Most of my spoons have them but this one was new out of the box without it. 

Edited by KilliansRed

You have a swivel on your dipsy helping with line twist so I think you are covered.  Yes a split ring would do similar to a duolock snap.  The benefit is when you have a fish on, the knot isn't reefing across the metal blade causing weakness.  With a split ring or duolock snap, the moving parts are metal on metal so the line is protected.