Barcelona..Here I come!

Starting to get excited.. Heading to Erie this coming Wed. thru Monday. We'll be fishing out of Barcelona.. Anyone else going to be out there? Always nice to have someone to talk to out there :lol: Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Hey Chris. We had a good time when we went out Weds and thurs. Fishing was slow for us, we only boated 6 'eyes but caught a lot of other fish. At one point all 6 rods went off, filled up with silver bass(?) and a sheepshead. Wind was East both days which probably didnt help. Our best lure was the chartreuse harness on the dipsey, 170' of wire out. Best screen was in the 83-90' range. Hope you do better than we did!

Dan

Dan.. Thanks for the info. That's pretty much what we ran and how we were marking last trip out. Just got off the phone with a buddy who's out there trolling right now.. in solid three footers. He said that it's still pretty slow, but he's getting decent numbers in slightly deeper water. Suppodes to calm down a bit by mid-week.. I'm hoping! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

went out of dunkirk-2 to 4's turned into 4-6 plus a rogue 8 for the heck of it. my partner got sick but we boated 8 eyes with a 9 pound eye as a kicker! weather is sposed to be worse on monday-so we may just hang-winds are sposed to be 15-25 mph. it was solid 10-20 mph today-sustained winds at the buoy 18 knots. harnesses kicked butt today-10 colors lead in 120 fow.

walteye

Walt.. Sounds like fun! I don't suppose that was your bride with you? Just realized that the MWC tourney is this weekend.. it shouldn't bother us in Barcelona. We'll let them have the Dunkirk area. You're fishing it.. aren't you? Maybe we'll catch you out there... Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

You will see MWC boats in Barcelona, the last MWC was won there. I know 5 boats that are fishing up there for the tourney and they all plan on checking it out. The weather is going to be good for them, pre fishing that's a different story. I was suppose to fish it but going salmon fishing instead I think there is around 50 boats so I'm sure they will all be spread out.

The PA border was hot with the bigger baskets coming between the Brocton Shoals and the PA border. I fished the s/w corner of the "Breaks" and culled both days of the tourney with my wife of 2 months-taking the plaque and check for the 11th place out of 64. 120 fow down 60'-10 color core plus 100'-1.75-2.25 mph n/e troll-slower if s/w troll-blue/silver Renosky chattersticks and double willow watermelon harnesses on #2 setting dipsey-150-175 back.

Walteye

Nice job Walt! 11th place with that field isn't too shabby! We fished with Fred on Wed. and Thurs.. same area and presentation as you. Friday thru Sunday we fished out of our boat without leadcore or Chatterstcks. Still did pretty good, but should have borrowed some sticks from Fred. They sure do seem to work! Neither bait shop near the launch had even heard of them and we didn't run to Bill's.. figured he was probably out of them anyway. May try to sneak up one more time in the next few weeks... Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Chris

thanks to Fred he put us running the deeper water, but he was doing well with the smaller c-sticks while we were doing better with the bigger ones. He was also further west than where we fished -but we had a school that was stationary since the previous Sunday and we just kept hitting it. My wife froze up on stage and couldn't say a word-but made up for it big time on the way home!

Walteye

Do you guys find that the chattersticks cannot take much

abuse, though? I had a steelhead rip the wire right out

yesterday,and the paint seems to not stay well.

John

As far as 7 mph-without a doubt. the best trolling is with a west wind due to the underwater current-keep the speed between 1.75 and 2.25. as far as the c-sticks-I was advised by Fred Forsythe of Castaway Charters to spray the lures with clearcoat and it has seemed to slow the wearing away of the original paint. I have caght steelhead/sheepshead/ walleye with the chattersticks without a problem-but I have heard of problems with the eye coming out-and I had one that never ran true from the git go. They work-but not one of Renosky's better made lures as far as I am concerned.

Walteye

John.. I'm not very impressesd with the quality of the chattersticks.. or the regular Renosky sticks for that matter! We had a snap-ring let loose on one last week. The hooks on both are sure sharp enough, but bend too easily. And the finish doesn't hold up.. had several of the old ones split down the back and start peeling. Unfortunately.. the darn things catch fish! I guess it will give me something to do during the "off" season! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)