cross lake walleye

cant speak to the lake itself for the eyes, but I was just out there 10 days ago and saw a guy pull an eye in from the state ditch. trolling a crank. he did say that they are less common in the ditch this time of year but I do know that's a spot to seek them out, as that article would suggest.

I'm not a walleye hunter (NitroWalleye??? Nah) but if they aren't typically in the ditch this time of year they have to go somewhere, right? so maybe the deeper water of the lake is the bite now- they cant just pack up and walk away :lol: so somewhere between the lake, river and ditch you'll find 'em. you'd probably know better than I their patterns.

personally thats one of my favorite areas. you have a lot of species and a lot of water types (lake, river, backwater and some good structure along the banks) so it never gets boring. just dont try to navigate through the weeds where the river reconnects with the ditch if you have any bigger than a rowboat. I found out the hard way- nearly marooned in the middle of it :$ I'm lucky its just muck and not rocky or my new prop would have been toast. should still be a path cut through the weeds for you though!

PM me if you want any other info

happy hunting

I'm not familiar with all the nuanced spots, but generally speaking you're in a great locale. the Seneca river is great for the warm water species. I believe (though I cant find where I saw it) that NYS has easements on 1 or both sides of bridges for fishing. I did see some folks fishing from shore along the state ditch just east of cross lake while i was there too.

otherwise the river in the city of Oswego has great access (but I think its a bit more than 20 miles...)

ive only found one spot along the seneca river that had decent access...but it was so far inland, that the water was only about 2-3ft deep...this time of yr, its not really any good for fishing for much.

i want to try the state ditch off of cross lake too, that is how i found this blog actually...but if you could point out a specific location where i could fish from the shore, that would be fantastic!!

oswego is a bit far...bit it would be a nice day trip or something with some buddies...unfortunately, none of them are around for the next couple wks, so its just me

thanks for the help nitro

the folks I saw on the st ditch were near the bridge. I assume they just parked along the road there. I believe its plainville rd. just google map it and you should be able to find it. if you are able to make your way to where the st ditch and river meet back up you should see some good action.

good luck!

i checked that spot out...turns out...it is a good spot to fish...but its also a cliff climb away...its about a 40-50 ft drop from the bridge...there are ropes hanging down from the cliff, you have to scale them to get to the water and fish from shore.

all the other spots in the area are on private property...since i arrived around 7AM...it was too early to go around knocking on peoples doors to see if i fish their docks...