Article from todays D&C about Lake Ontario

Tuff call as for the cause .I grew up on Post Creek in Steuben cty., in the last few years ive noticed slime everywhere that was never there in the past. The chemung river also is sliming up and so is Catherine creek .With "NO, NONE ,Or ANY Knowlage of such things i can only guess as to Causes .As we all know tha days of many small farms with cows pooping in the fields and farting in the wind are mostly gone ,Now we have mega barns holding 299 head of milkers pooing and pepeing in a trough and the liqued is spread on top of the ground that is easly washed off now if you have 300 head of cows you have to plow in the waste (sort of)which is slower and costlier.dont quote me on the numbers this was 2nd hand info passed to me.As i say this is a guess and a plumers observation and i know poop. Other than lower water levels on streams that i see the only other item mentioned was lawn fertlizer .At first this seems kinda small sorce but from 1981 to86 i ran the lawn and garden dept at one of 6 stores in a town of 15,000 i easly sold 2 or 3 tracter trailer loads a summer,back then.If you take a boat ride around lest say Keuka lake the days of a cottage with a small lawn have changed to mega cottages with huge green lush lawns ,and Lake ontario shares the same type growth of multi million dollar cottages with th lawns the size of 3 football fields.So remembering form the fertlizer days i know 50lb does 15,000 sq ft .if put down proper .but anyone in the buisness knows you have ,CRABGRASS PREVENTER AND FERTLIZER PUT DOWN IN THE SPRING.GRUB CONTROL WITH FERTLIZER EARLY SUMMER,SUMMER FERTLIZER FOR LUSH LAWNS ,FALL FERTLIZER WITH WEED PREVENTER ,AND FINALLY SNOW MOLD PREVENTER WITH FERTLIZER TO BE PUT DOWN LATE FALL. So the lawn issue may have more weight than one might think.Specially after a wet summer with near shore issues Hey Just Like This Year.