Headed east to Oswego early this morning and set-up just west of the college in 50 fow. The lake began to get ugly as large swells began swinging in from the W/NW and we wondered if we were going to be stuck in Oswego. Luckily it layed down as the day went on! We marked quite a few fish and some bait between 50 and 65 fow as we set up, 45 ft down to the bottom. Before I could get the 4th rod set, our 50 ft rigger fired pulling a chartruese echip/crusher glow fly - landed a dark 15 lb king. At that time we were over 65 fow. A little later we had a good rip on the wire as I was letting it out, but that one somehow broke the clip on the snubber and took everything behind the dipsy! :x It amazes me sometimes what these fish can do!!

A couple hours later we picked up a 6 lb brownie over 160 fow on the same rigger set-up down 68 ft. That was it for us: 2 for 3. We were around quite a few other boats and only saw one other fish caught all morning, so it seemed to be slow for everyone. We called it a morning at 11:00 as we had a long trip back against the swells, although they had layed down to nothing by the time we got back to Port Bay.

If anyone told me that they were in front of the Oswego River at the end of August and marked virtually no fish, I would have a hard time believing them - But that was the case today. Where are the kings???? :roll:

Tomorrow looks to be a down day with the blow coming in, but we'll be back out on tues and wed if the curent forecast holds. I think we'll save some gas and work the area between Sodus and Fair haven...

Finders Keepers,

You are not alone. We fished out of Oswego four times during the last week and a-half. Went 4 for 6, 2 for 4, 2 for 4 and 1 for 1. The last trip was last saturday and it was awful. We couldn't have fished harder. They salmon seem to be widely scattered to non-existant. Hope they are just late?

I think you are seeing the result of two years of drought conditions coming to a head. I am sure there was almost zero natural reproduction on the south shore streams the last two years due to poor flows and uber-warm water temps. At the peak of the October run last year the Niagara was 72 degrees! The DEC does not really have any way of accurately determining the natural reproduction of Kings. Steelhead and browns spawn later when temps and flows are better, so they have gotten bigger with more bait around (not as many Kings eating). Good news is this year flows are good. We may be looking at three year King shortage unfortunately.