Fishing for Perch in and around Sodus Bay?

I'm new to the forum.

I've fished casually around Western/Cesteren NY for years for Perch. Now I live near the bay and am trying to find Perch? I have had a little luck at the shoot on the bay side (a few medium sixe ones). People are telling me to try in 5 - 20 ft of water in the lake near the East Bay Bluffs? All I get is those darn Gobies. What is the deal with the gobies how do I get away from them and find the Perch?

First, this is the wrong forum, you'll get a better response in the bass/walleye section. Best way I've avoided the gobies, while fishing for perch in the islands, and bass fishing out in Ontario is to move your bait up 18" or so from a sinker. You can feel the gobies when you're on the bottom everywhere I've fished in the lake. Its ridiculous. Then move up a few inches and they leave it alone. The bass and perch hang up there besides.

FYI: I caught a huge 13" gobie Monday. I thought they only got to be about 6" till I saw that bastard. He never saw the pliers coming until his head popped off! Kill them all!

Also quite remarkable in our outing, my buddie landed a 23" brown in 14' in front of the braddocks point piers! Beauty, especially when drift fishing for smallies! It hit a orange/yellow fire tiger deep thunderstick. Let the spawning runs begin!

Boat's running great! Still a few tweaks needed to make it right, but 36mph in a 15ft. aluminum boat doesn't leave alot to complain about! She's not a morning person, as since those damp, colder mornings have started it takes a while to get her warmed up. Maybe rebuilding the carbs will settle it. Also I need a transom plate i believe to lift it out of the water a few inches. The tilt arms spray water straight up and into my transom well. My bilge pump has gotten a workout! Also considering a whale tail to stabilize the ride.

It was a great upgrade from a 28 to 50 and now its running great! Thanks again Hank! BTW, I still have that 28 Johnson for sale. 800 will get it out of my garage. let me know if you know anyone out your way lookin...