Mexico Bay, Dapper Dan, 30 Aug - 1 Sept

Not as good as I had hoped. Didn't get a Derby fish. Went 5 for about 15 over 3 days.

Hits came on Spin doctors and echips about equally. White on white violence in the dawn and dusk and green on chartruse

violence in mid day dominated. The favorite flies were ultra white glow, packer fly, mirage fly and glo hammer (all A-tom-Mik Tournement flies).

3 hits on dipsies, all wire, no slide diver. The rest were on the riggers except for 1 on the thumper.

Saturday, I had amazing action and breaktime aboard. I started with a smaller king on a dipsy shot then they both straitened hooks on larger kings. Amazing action straitened the thumper's hooks and then breaktime showed us how to straiten a hook on a downrigger. Loosen the drag guys......

I took 3 guys on Sunday from the forum: Chowder, adirondackice and his step son Kent Vedder. Adirondacice wanted to get a king for Kent. Lukily, I managed to get them each a salmon and we had a great day.

We had 1 double with which we batted 500. The double started with 13 year old Kent tieing into his first slamon. He nailed a nice 22 # off the nuke plant and used all of 30 minutes to get it in. Kent wasn't sure which of them would prevail. Here's a picture of Kent wondering if he would win:

kentvedder283108mh2.th.jpg

Kent won in the end and throughout the day, he opened the fish box so many times to look at his salmon, all the ice melted. Here's Kent and adirondackice:

kentandmikegross83108vd1.th.jpg

Adirondackice, followed Kent a short time later with an 18 # king. We wrapped up the morning with a nice 5-6 # coho for chowder. Nice guys all, and like I said, we had a good time.

I fished with broad horizons and his friend Pete on Monday. Regretably, we managed only 2 dipsy hits niether of which stuck.

I managed to take 1 king Monday evening by myself runing a 1-rigger and 1 dipsy spread. There is something to be said for "less is more".

I fished about 1 half the time between the highrocks and the nuke plant and the remaining time north of the big river. I took more hits at the plant but the boats were thicker there. Most hits were between 70 and 80 fow and down 60 to 75 feet. Dipsies fired at 150 and 250 on #2.

Hi Tim, I was waiting for your report so I could thank you again for the awesome day we had.....we had it all, beautiful weather, good fishing and great company!!

It was really something to hear Kent tell his story to everyone when we got home....you can really just feel the excitement!! I know it was a day he or I will never forget!!

Thanks again Tim, you are a class act!!