Engine mounted minnkota

rolmops

Good morning to all.

I am looking at replacing my 2 stroke 9.9 Johnson kicker. One of the options is an 80 pound thrust 24 volt lower unit mounted minn kota (it is so quiet)

Does anyone have any experience with this setup? How fast and how long will it push a 19 foot islander with a 2500 pound overall weight?

Thank you for any info you may have.

Cornelis.

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 1

If it were for bouncing around to find perch, bass, jigging etc that would be plenty I would think. If your using it for trolling, I’d stay with gas, 4 stroke maybe 8 or a 9.9hp. Electric for trolling I think would I be rough on it both the unit and batteries. Just an opinion though

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

8 hours ago, Frogger said:

If it were for bouncing around to find perch, bass, jigging etc that would be plenty I would think. If your using it for trolling, I’d stay with gas, 4 stroke maybe 8 or a 9.9hp. Electric for trolling I think would I be rough on it both the unit and batteries. Just an opinion though

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

X2  One primary value of a gas kicker is for saving your butt in rough weather and/or emergencies. The new 8 stroke ones are a lot better on fuel than your 2 stroke. Had a 2 stroke 9.9 which was a great motor but the 4 stroke 9.8 have more torque and a little less top end speed. I would think that electric trolling motor would be my back up to my back up:)

I don't have any experience with a boat the size of yours but 24 v wasn't adequate for trolling on my 21', but the 36v I have now will no problem.  You don't get 2 seasons out of the batteries though if you fish alot.  IMO the gas kicker is the play if you are a troller.  If you are multi species or do alot of casting then the trolling motor is the answer.