Hemlock Canadice - Hemlock angler diary report

For your reading pleasure.

Been a diary cooperator for these lakes for 3 years now. Would suggest anyone who regularly fishes these lakes consider participating in the program.

20180329_190833.jpg20180329_190851.jpg20180329_190932.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by JJBat150
add tag

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad they stopped stocking the Walleye at Hemlock thinking it was causing the Rainbow population to decline. They must have ordered the Springwater Rod & Gun to stop because of that. Too bad it was producing some beauties. I for one am tired of NYS putting Trout on the highest throne. There arent many lakes in NY to get big Walleyes either and this  was one of them. Very rare now.

If Hemlock was such a good lake for walleye, why didn't they reproduce when stocked before?  The Lake is long and narrow and deep, cold at the bottom, what is called an Oligotrophic Lake, suitable for Lake Trout and Whitefish, walleye are a mesotrophic lake fish.  And, let's see, four lakes east to west: Honeoye, medium depth, lots of walleye and stocking, Canadice,  a typical deep cold trout lake, Hemlock, another deep cold trout lake but with some walleyes present whether stocked or not, and Conesus, a deeper mesotrophic Lake, lots of big walleyes, although few can catch them.  Does not sound like a trout centric program, sounds like it is based on habitat type.  Youi have lots of places where you can fish walleyes without messing up, and you don't have any boat size or motor restrictions .

As to Rainbows, the DEC stocking lists only show rainbows stocked in 2016 in Springwater Creek.  Natural Reproduction is the key to 'bows in most of the FL.  Hemlock is only stocked with Lakers., Canadice is stocked with lakers and browns. 

Big Walleyes were  common in Hemlock in the 1940s and 1950s. Several really big fish to 14 lbs were caught as shown in the Genesee Fishing Contest Guides (Whele Contest back then). They died off when the Alwifes were introduced as they preyed on the young Walleye. Yes the Finger Lakes for the most part are suitable for coldwater species like Trout BUT Hemlock could be managed as a trophy lake not a numbers Lake. Seems like most of the ones caught there were big and even now you see an oddball big one from the Rod & Gun Club stockings. All I'm saying is how about giving us a trophy destination for Walleye instead of worrying about Rainbows. Pickerel eat small trout too. The Lakers and Rainbows are mostly stocked there anyways. Why can't both be stocked there since it has a track record of producing trophy size Walleye? Not everyone worships Trout!!! There are alot of Walleye guys out there too. Also I wouldnt say we have lots of places to fish Walleye in Western NY either. Honeoye, Conesus, Silver, and maybe an oddball spot. After that you are driving 2 hours or more, one way.

As to Rainbows, the DEC stocking lists only show rainbows stocked in 2016 in Springwater Creek.  Natural Reproduction is the key to 'bows in most of the FL.  Hemlock is only stocked with Lakers., Canadice is stocked with lakers and browns. 

I still fail to se why stocking  is necessary if the lake is an appropriate fit for walleyes.  Also, who put the alewife in Hemlock?  That was likely someone hauling bait from another lake, same as ruined the perch in Conesus.

Edited by Lucky13

DEC conducted angler survey that led to elimination of Atlantic salmon and walleye stocking, and determined trout as major objective, as stated at the meeting a couple of years ago.  The majority of respondents favored  the current mix.  The Lake trout numbers stocked say that it is supplementary stocking, there is a lot of natural reproduction of the lakers.  And there are still walleyes in there.

Irondequoit Bay gets 36000.  The Genesee River  has natural populations below the lower falls, and has excellent fishing in the Mt Morris to Geneseo stretch.   And I think Hemlock and Canadice are the only two small boat trout lakes within 2 hours of Rochester, so we trout fishers who use canoes and kayaks have even less spots than you.  Your motto is have trailer will travel! ;)

I want DEC to build me a trout stream in my backyard, too.  I'm not holding my breath, though.

• Like 2

Hemlock and Canadice Lake Angler Opinions

Abstract

During creel censuses to determine catch and harvest statistics (reported separately), anglers were asked for their opinions concerning fishing satisfaction, current fishing regulations, potential management actions, stocking, and general management of Hemlock and Canadice Lakes (April 2005 - March 2006) and Springwater Creek (April - May 2005). Census agents interviewed 1,286 people at Hemlock Lake, 804 people at Canadice Lake, and 131 people at Springwater Creek.

Most anglers preferred to fish Hemlock and Canadice Lakes for rainbow and brown trout and largemouth and smallmouth bass; there was no interest in landlocked salmon. Members of local fishing clubs expressed a preference for the development of a walleye fishery in Hemlock Lake; however, most anglers preferred that the current trout management strategy be continued.

The majority of Springwater Creek anglers were not members of fishing clubs and most rated their fishing trips excellent or good; however, those that were members of clubs generally rated their trips fair. Rainbow trout was the most preferred species, but there wasn't consensus among anglers about the status of the fishery. Opinions were evenly divided among those that thought it had increased, decreased, remained the same over the last ten years, or had no opinion. Most anglers interviewed on Springwater Creek preferred that the current Hemlock Lake coldwater management strategy be continued, rather than allowing the development of a walleye fishery. Slightly more than half of the national or state fishing club members support developing a brown trout fishery in Springwater Creek, but there was little support from non-club and local club members.

The results of the survey were used to develop fisheries management recommendations for these waters. Recommendations included discontinuing Atlantic salmon and walleye stocking, developing brown trout management objectives, re-evaluating salmonid stocking rates and proportions, and further examining fish community interactions. Current fishing regulations should remain in effect and periodic stock assessments should be conducted.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/hemcanangsuv.pdf

Yes it is what it is. The DEC is so trout happy state wide so it doesnt surprise me. Ive been fishing Hemlock 45 years and nobody asked me to do a survey. Good thing because I prefer toothy crittters and Bass. I like trout too and really all species but I just wish NYS wasnt so trout heavy. So are they blaming the Rainbow decline on the 5 yr stocking of Walleye by the rod and gun club then? There are so many bait fish in that lake, I doubt that had anything to do with it. I dont think Naples Creek or Catherine Creek gets the run like they used to either. No Walleyes to blame there. Whatever...its tough to please everyone. Hemlock/Canadice is cool regardless.

I think the major factor in Rainbow decline were the major manure spills and associated fish kills that occurred a few years back and the beaver dams that impeded ability of the few fish that remained after the spills to get upstream to repopulate.  I do know a couple of guys who do quite well in the spring in the creek but they are tight lipped and they cover a LOT of ground.  I liked the Landlocked salmon, too, but I didn't get interviewed.  But lots of people did, and they preferred trout and bass.

They stock well over one quarter million walleye in Conesus, ought to be lots of opportunity there!