Finger Lakes Salmon Casting

Hey guys, long time no post.

I was looking to see if anyone had any advice on casting from a boat for Cayuga and Seneca Salmon. I want to get into these land locks. but I don’t really know where to start from a lure stand point or location wise. Kinda figured I would work down the lakeshore throwing buck tails and flukes. Specifically looking to cast and not troll. 

Any advice? Feel free to PM if you would rather go that route.

I fish this way exclusively during winter and early spring.  I use my trolling motor and foot control to work the shore line, while we are not going as fast as one would trolling we do cover a lot of water.  We rarely stop unless we see a lot of activity in one spot, otherwise we're constantly moving and casting. Lately stickbaits in the 3-4" size have produced nice fish.  The advantage I notice as opposed to trolling is the ability to get the lure in VERY shallow, many times I'm casting just inches from the shoreline, I'm always amazed at the fish I see starting to chase the lure in just a few feet of water.  I've trolled quite a bit with planer boards and its tough to get in that close.  Not saying it's necessarily more productive than trolling but it's a lot of fun.

GOOD luck

2 hours ago, threethinlayers said:

What depth are you trolling at this time of year?  Thanks.

I flat line, and generally run a line only 15-20 feet back right in the propwash for LL salmon.  I have trolled like this in the 'dacks, but it should work in the FL.

Cronoticed has some valid points about very shallow and close to shore.  I also like strickbaits like rapalas for trolling, but spoons like mooselicks and speedy shiners hold up to fast speeds.

Edited by Lucky13