What to cast with?

carpedium

It looks like i will be solo this weekend (no wife) so i would like to get out and do some fishing. I have NO idea what i'm doing trolling, i have the boat and all but reading this forum it looks like it takes more gear than i have at the moment. So i guess i'll stick with casting this weekend. What would you guys recommend to use for casting off the summerville pier, I saw some people fish there overnight? Is there some kind of lighted lure or bait you use? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I've never tried shrimp. What size? Raw or cooked? At least that way if the catch is slow, you can snack on the bait! :shock:

I usually cast 8lb. line for bass, and then 18lb. floro when fishing for kings and steelies, but it doesn't cast that great and has alot of spool memory when you get into that or larger diameter (which causes it to foul, knot up, and cast poorly). I'm trying out 20lb. Spiderwire right now, because it has the diameter of 6lb. test. It definitely casts better, and it doesn't seem to knot at all, but I'm yet to retrieve any weight to tell if it holds up to its story. I'm going to put my time in this week hopefully.

As for lure/bait, I'm a true believer in the 1oz. hammered green/silver cleo or in the orange/glow. Storm's Jr.Thundersticks are also a huge producer. they also come in glow colors.

I've also had success in the 3/4oz. pink/orange glow jigheads with the smaller egg sacks 6' under a bobber. I will typically throw one of these out, and cast a stickbait or spoon with my second rod.

I like your tactics! We used to apply them to channel cat fishing with hot dogs! Speaking of double purposes, I discovered I can fit a 30 pack in my live-well and a bag of ice! Another, hanging a coleman lantern off of your downrigger arm... It draws the bait fish in, and helps you see your lines.

For pier fishing Cabela's makes a nice salmon steelhead rod. I have a 10' model that is now 21 years old and still flinging it a country mile. I use 12 lb trilene green Xl with a good duolock swivel. 3/4 oz glow cleos at night, orange jointed rapalas, hot'n'tots, and silver cleos during the day. You can rig another rod for bottom fishing with egg skein or sacks.