for sale : usa 1960 18hp Johnson $250

I've got a well used but great running long shaft 18hp Johnson.  For its age it runs very well,  cold on choke it usually fires up third or fourth pull, after it's warmed up 1st or second pull.  Good compression and plenty of power.

I installed a new water pump impeller a few months ago and within the last couple years new plugs, wires and fuel lines.

About a month ago I drained lower end and found a little water mixed in with gear lube.  Either needs new lower end seals or possibly it's just the washers on the drain bolts.  New seal kit online goes for about $50 

I don't have the time to install seals and recently found a newer motor.  I have this on Craigslist as well but haven't had much interest.  Id really like to see this go to someone who would use it.

Motor comes with 2 metal gas tanks in decent shape and spare prop as well.

Looking for around $250, but open to offers and trades...

WIN_20180822_08_40_39_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180822_08_39_45_Pro.jpg

Edited by cronoticed

I run a '55 Johnson 10 HP. These old motors are built better, have more torque and are easier to work on than modern motors. If someone is looking for a motor for your 14' tin boat this would make a great motor. I'd be willing to bet it would pull kids on a set of skis too. Good luck with the sale.

I had it on a 14' aluminum boat, would go 21mph with 2 adults riding. But also idles down nicely for a 2 stroke, it purrs along at lowest throttle setting.

Forgot to mention in earlier post the motor is located in freeville ny.

Edited by cronoticed

• 8 months later...