Bloodrun's walleye copper

chowder

I'm going to put together a couple walleye Bloodrun copper rigs. One will be a 250' and the other will be a 200' to target eyes down 60-70. I'll be running these on Erie  out of Dunkirk, Silver Creek and Buffalo. I will need to put some power pro on behind this copper but I was hoping to not put a whole lot more on than what I'd need to get the copper into the water a bit and out to the board and then a little on the reel. I'm only going to use these on Erie for eyes so if you have set these rigs up let me know what you did. Thanks!

I setup a 250 BR walleye copper on a Daiwa 57 LC5 this winter.  I can’t say how much backer in terms of feet were, but I felt it was more than adequate.  My thought was same as yours- hit 60 or so down with less line than a 10 color.  I played around with the walleye copper a few years ago in shorter lengths to possibly replace some lead core but wasn’t happy with the result.  If you have silver bass wad up that copper you can have quite an impressive mess.

Thanks for the feedback mr 580. Yeah, for me  no sense taking all that time to deploy and reel in the 10 colors we've been using off the boards. I have a couple Okuma 55s that were wire reels that I'm switching to Highspeeds  so there's the reels and I don't care what the line counter says, once the copper is out and the power pro is in the release I know where that line is running. I had the same experience you may had with short coppers vs leadcore in my winter time finger lakes fishing: just did not have the same results as 4,5,6 colors off the boards. Let's stay in touch, sounds like we fish near each other on erie, I'd like to hear how this works for you. -Andy

If you are heading to Dunkirk or Silver Creek just PM me and I’ll share info.  For anything over 7 colors I have been using Tuff Line Microlead and I run my 10 colors on 50 Saltists.  Makes a big difference using a high speed reel.

Snap weights are a good option.  Make a lot of sense especially in smaller boats where rod storage is tough.  With 3 and 5 colors plus some snap weights a lot of depths could be covered.  In line boards also save space and go well with snap weight setup.

I setup a 250 BR walleye copper on a Daiwa 57 LC5 this winter.  I can’t say how much backer in terms of feet were, but I felt it was more than adequate.  My thought was same as yours- hit 60 or so down with less line than a 10 color.  I played around with the walleye copper a few years ago in shorter lengths to possibly replace some lead core but wasn’t happy with the result.  If you have silver bass wad up that copper you can have quite an impressive mess.

i set up 500 copper on a diwia 57 wth 400 ft of power pro backer

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

i set up 500 copper on a diwia 57 wth 400 ft of power pro backer

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Steelie is right....I have been using copper with deadly results on Erie the last couple of years but only to get down 30 feet. I would be using bigger snap weights, magnum tadpole or the Torpedo. Personally i don't keep fish so I would not target them at that depth so I can't speak with authority on the amount of copper to get that deep.