Weighted Steel – VS – Copper Depths

Going to put some more time and effort with the Weight Steel the next couple of months.  A couple of  years ago I had one rod setup with a 200-feet Weighted Steel and it was very productive.  Sometimes it was the only things that would fire on the boat.  So, I have a few questions.

First question is does everyone agree that the obtainable depths using copper can be obtained using the weighted steel assuming you are using the 19 stranded wire with the Weighted Steel?

Second question does anyone have a chart for the copper depths base on length?  I understand this is just a baseline as boat speed and what lure (flasher/Fly or spoon) is connected will make a big difference.  Looking for the following depths for these copper lengths: 50, 100, 200 and 400 feet of copper. 

If someone has a depth chart for Weighted Steel that would be very helpful. 

Thank you for your time.

Fishbowl836

A you mention it makes a difference with boat speed, and current and a host of other factors ( eg.diameter of copper) but an estimate for the braided    copper  at about 2 mph is 22 ft per 100 ft out so 11 for the 50 , 22 for 100, 44 for the 200, 88 for the 400 etc. You may wish to calculate your own chart a little more reliably by using a Fishhawwk TD for each setup and compare with the "expected" depths I mentioned. I have no idea about the weighted steel as I haven't used it.

Edited by Sk8man

On 6/14/2019 at 1:03 PM, Fishbowl836 said:

Going to put some more time and effort with the Weight Steel the next couple of months.  A couple of  years ago I had one rod setup with a 200-feet Weighted Steel and it was very productive.  Sometimes it was the only things that would fire on the boat.  So, I have a few questions.

First question is does everyone agree that the obtainable depths using copper can be obtained using the weighted steel assuming you are using the 19 stranded wire with the Weighted Steel?

Second question does anyone have a chart for the copper depths base on length?  I understand this is just a baseline as boat speed and what lure (flasher/Fly or spoon) is connected will make a big difference.  Looking for the following depths for these copper lengths: 50, 100, 200 and 400 feet of copper. 

If someone has a depth chart for Weighted Steel that would be very helpful. 

Thank you for your time.

Fishbowl836

I'll have to check when I get home but each of the spools of WS I just bought came with a sticker saying how deep they would go @2.5mph. I don't remember what they were off the top of my head, but I put the stickers on the reels so I can check later (I wanna say 200 WS was 35ft @2.5mph). I believe ppl have said to get the same depths as 45# copper, you would actually need the same amount of 60# WS.