Florocarbon

Anybody ever use the Grand Max that Seaguar makes and is it worth it to try as opposed to the regular floro leader material they make (all though I have not had any problems with the regular)? I was looking around for some and came across the Grand Max stuff and just wondered. Looks to be priced maybe a little more and came in what looked to be the strongest size at 25.3# test.

:yes: or :no:

Here's what I saw:

Seaguar Grand Max Fluorocarbon

Leader & Tippet Material

Seaguar Grand Max is the best fluorocarbon on the market. It is not surprising that the world's largest maker of fluorocarbon fishing lines and leaders, and the company that invented fluorocarbon, would introduce the world's strongest fluorocarbon. In a side-by-side tensile strength comparison, Seaguar Grand Max tested up to twice as strong as other leading brands.

What's more, the refractive index of Seaguar Grand Max - a measure of visibility - was actually lower than competitive brands, which means that it is even less visible in the water. It is not stiff or kinky like some other leader materials and memory is relatively low so it relaxes and straightens out.

Also of note is the exceptional knot strength of Seaguar Grand Max. Unlike ordinary leaders, which lose up to 25% of their strength when knotted, Grand Max retains up to 97% of its unknotted strength when tied with an improved clinch.

We carry the leader/tippet material in 25 meter spools in sizes 02X through 8X. We also carry 100 yard spools in sizes 1X and 3X. All sizes are clear in color.

For additional information on this premium leader and tippet material, please see the specifications table below.

They had a 03X that was 25.3 #

Specifications

Size 02X 01X 0X 1X 2X 3X 4X 5X 6X 7X 8X

Diameter .013 .012 .011 .010" .009" .008" .007" .006" .005" .004" .003

Test Lbs. 20.7 18.5 16.5 14.4 12.5 9.2 7.0 4.8 3.7 2.6 1.9

tom if ya got something that works stick with it that post is too long to read let alone type .if yu wanna test any line just tie a overhand knot and try to break ,if it breaks easy walk away if it cuts both of your hands then call yourself a idiot and buy the stuff. i tried it with 20lb P-Line flouroclear with a bick pen and a screwdriver and it cut the pen in half been useing it ever sence .

Lets see Tom......your using it mostly for cowbells and Lakers, so it needs to be REAL tough! Secondly, if it cost more it HAS to be better......right?

Honestly, I have no idea! I haven't heard about that line. My only advice would be if it aint fixed then don't break it! OK, now I'm starting to talk like Ray. Unless you cant find the regular stuff why change bud!

If you're looking for something different, give the Berkley Professional Fluorocarbon a try. We ran it last year and really liked it. It's significantly better than that Vanish junk that they make, and I'd say it stacks up favorably against Seaguar. Here's a link to a full review of it: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewtrilenefc.html

I just found that link and there appears to be all kinds of reviews on different kinds of line, etc.

Leaders and flies here too!

One recommendation I would ask is dont use for a leader off a dipsey, unless maybe your using a snubber. Floro has no shock or stretch capabilities. Mono does, so in instances when your running a wire dipsey and that salmon takes a shot at it you want something to give a little.

I used the Berkley Pro Fluoro in 10lb for brown trout leaders, and 20lb for salmon spoon leaders and it held up great. I've used 30Lb P-Line Floroclear for my dipsy leaders for several years now and it's been great...it's a floro/mono blend so it has some stretch to it. I've been tying my flys up with 50# Ande for a long time and it's been good too, although I have a spool of 50# Seaguar sitting at home that I got at a tourney last year and I'll prolly tie a bunch of fly leaders up with it and see if I like it as much as the Ande I've been using.

Thanks guys for all the responses :clap: .

No Rick it is not for cowbells at all, you have me confused with one of the Laker boys Jax or Gambler :P . I wasn't looking to change just was looking to see if anybody had used it and what type of response they had to it. Like Billy trying the Berkley and liking it.

Might get some and see how the 2 compare. FIELD TEST it as they say :lol: