Question for L&M

cannon

Hey Hank...I have a 27' Sportcraft with a 5.7 liter mercrusier inboard. ( new in 05)...I'm interested in permently installing a small 12 volt oil transfer pump in the oil system.( for ease of oil changes.).. On the port side of the engine block there are two 5/8" hoses that leave the lower engine and feed the oil filter, then back to the engine block.. My question is... can I install a pipe nipple and "T" into the lower of the two hose connections(where it leaves the engine block) and install a ball valve in line with the suction side of the transfer pump??? what are your thoughts on this??? Also (perhaps a subject for another post) your thoughts on synthetic vs conventional oil or blends?? thanks captd

I would highly NOT recommend that. The lines you are talking about run from the filter adapter and are under pressure all the time the engine is running. If you cut into them it is just an accident waiting to happen. Besides you won't get the oil completely out of the pan as the suction or (pressure line) comes thru the pump and the return line feeds the engine oiling system.

There are kit's made by Shur-Flo and some others that replace the drain plug with a valve and hose to a pump as you stated. But I've seen to many of those fail as well. (Leakage of oil in the bilge) If it is an 05 engine or for that matter back as far as 80 or so. The dip stick tube will have a garden hose type fitting where the stick goes in. If that's the case that is the new design and it will draw 95% of the oil out of the pan by drawing it out of the top of the dip stick tube. No need to run a line thru the tube as in earlyer models. As long as the oil is warm it doesn't take that long to do and it will save problems in the long run.

Thanks Hank...I went out to the Boat and checked it out..yup..just as you described..hose connection easily available on dip tube...sure will make short work of changing the oil. This board is a good thing..any thoughts on oil vs synthetic ? THANKS captd

Dear Cannon,

If the "new engine" installed has conventional flat tappet hyd. lifters then stay far away from the Synthetics or Sunburst marked oils. The syn's and sunburst marked oils have been developed to maintain the expected life of catalytic converters. The EPA convinced the engine mfgs and oil companys to remove the zinc based additives to maintain the life of catalytic converters. The use of Diesel coded oils (CD) such as Shell and other mfgs. in straight 30, 40 or 50 weight is highly recommended for marine engines and those vehicles NOT using catalytic converters.(Muscle Cars) Their has been a dramatic increase in camshaft and lifter wear the past 5 years. Aftermarket parts mfgs are now warning their customers about the use of modern oils in heavy duty applications using flat tappet lifters. If your new engine has hyd. roller lifters, then it may use the new coded oils. BUT trolling is harsh on marine engines. The zinc additives (In CD oils)reduce wear on sliding surfaces. I only use these CD oils in my boat and diesel tractor. I use Mobil One in my 5.3 Tahoe and just finished towing a 5400lb.boat/trailer 3100 miles with a total oil cosumption of less then 1 pint! The choice is yours to make!.........Jet Boat Bill

Oil: To make a long story short. Stick with a good grade, straight 30W detergent type oil year around. My choice is Pennzoil. But there are other quality oils as well.

Bill you made a good point with synthetics in marine use. Especially for trolling.